Black screen when opening FF58

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Damun

Black screen when opening FF58

Post by Damun »

After the recent v58.0 update i've noticed that when i open a new window of FF, it briefly (<1 sec) displays a black screen.
This is irrespective of opening a new window from a link or from desktop shortcut.
Disabling the few add-ons i have seems to have no effect and opening in safe-mode only reduces the time the black screen is displayed.
I have the exact same problem on my desktop PC and on my laptop, thus ruling out possible hardware interference (however, both computers are old-ish and running Win7). I've also tryed do disable hardware acceleration but it does not resolve the issue.

It's only a minor irritation, hence the reporting here in the "bug" section.

-Dan
DanRaisch

Re: Black screen when opening FF58

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.

If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

Also see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox
Damun

Post by Damun »

Thanks for the quick reply @DanRaisch
Moving to Firefox Support.
Sorry if i posted in wrong forum.

I created a new profile and interestingly there is no black screen when i open FF with the new profile.
I don't have any extra themes installed and i'm running the standard theme. I have also disabled the three add-ins/extensions i have (Addblock Plus, Adobe Acrobat (allways disabled) and Kaspersky Protection).
The only thing i can think of being different between my profile and the new profile are the numerous bookmarks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's unlikely that bookmarks were a factor in the black screen. It is, however, possible that modified config settings from previously installed extensions could cause such problems.
Damun

Post by Damun »

DanRaisch wrote:It's unlikely that bookmarks were a factor in the black screen. It is, however, possible that modified config settings from previously installed extensions could cause such problems.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I've just dug around a little bit more: The Kaspersky extension is enabled in the new profile as well (it is set to allways be on when browser starts in Kaspersky) so it's not Kaspersky.
I tried removing Addblock Plus. No change, still black screen.

So how would I go about cleaning leftovers (sorry, i've reached the limit of my IT-knowledge here)? I am asuming you are talking about leftovers in preferences.
A clean install of FF?
Or creating a new profile, moving everything to that profile and deleting old profile (i.e. "Refresh Firefox")?

-Dan
therube

Post by therube »

See if it happens in Safe Mode (which I suppose is covered in the diagnostic link above?).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Damun

Post by Damun »

therube wrote:See if it happens in Safe Mode (which I suppose is covered in the diagnostic link above?).
Thanks for the suggestion.
I allready did that (see my first post).

Update:
I have created a new profile in FF and imported bookmarks (from a backup) and installed add-ins/extensions. So far i don't get a black screen when using the new profile.
I will dig around a bit more to see if i can recreate the problem...

On a sidenote: It's a shame that favicon reloader doesn't support FF Quantum.
Damun

Post by Damun »

Did a "refresh firefox" : problem solved

Thanks to DanRaisch for pointing me in the righ direction
DanRaisch wrote:It's unlikely that bookmarks were a factor in the black screen. It is, however, possible that modified config settings from previously installed extensions could cause such problems.
-Dan
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. Thanks for posting back with your findings.