MozillaZine

FF Quantum & Pinned tabs

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Debskinner

Post Posted January 30th, 2018, 8:21 am

Hi
I haven't "upgraded" to FF Quantum (57/58) yet & have a question... I currently use Session Manager to save my default "home page". This is actually 9 pinned tabs, plus 1 regular tab.
Will I be able to have this as my home page in 57? I currently use a number of add ons that I would like to be able to continue to use. I have found a couple of alternatives that sort of do the job, but not all & some of the ones that have been "upgraded" to work with FF57 work differently & don't do what I need them to do, which is frustrating. I did try 57 & then went back to 56.0.2
Thanks

allande

Post Posted January 30th, 2018, 9:44 am

You can have multiple pages as a home page, using the pipe symbol: https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/03/fi ... ome-pages/
But, to have them as pinned tabs I think you would have to use session saving - choose "show your windows and tabs from last time" and since they are pinned they should typically be part of any session.
Tab management and hiding are being tested for future versions: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2018/01 ... irefox-59/ But full tab managers will take a while before they return if ever.

Debskinner

Post Posted January 30th, 2018, 9:54 am

Thanks. Don't really want to have 9 full size tabs open every time I open FF, which is why I have them as pinned tabs....
Looks like I'll be sticking with FF56 a bit longer

Frank Lion

Post Posted January 30th, 2018, 10:24 am

Debskinner wrote:Thanks. Don't really want to have 9 full size tabs open every time I open FF, which is why I have them as pinned tabs....
Looks like I'll be sticking with FF56 a bit longer

You do understand that pinned tabs are called that because they persist across browser sessions, right? i.e. they appear as pinned tabs every time you start the browser.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Debskinner

Post Posted January 31st, 2018, 2:23 am

Indeed. I have 9 pinned tabs that I always have pinned, so I want them to start every session. That's the point

Frank Lion

Post Posted January 31st, 2018, 7:29 am

Debskinner wrote:Indeed. I have 9 pinned tabs that I always have pinned, so I want them to start every session. That's the point

Doesn't matter what you want, those pinned tabs are going to be there every session whether you want them or not. It is why they are called pinned tabs.

You going to reply, 'Indeed, that's the point' to that as well?
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Linda Latte

Post Posted January 31st, 2018, 9:41 am

Debskinner wrote:Hi
I haven't "upgraded" to FF Quantum (57/58) yet & have a question... I currently use Session Manager to save my default "home page". This is actually 9 pinned tabs, plus 1 regular tab.
Will I be able to have this as my home page in 57? I currently use a number of add ons that I would like to be able to continue to use. I have found a couple of alternatives that sort of do the job, but not all & some of the ones that have been "upgraded" to work with FF57 work differently & don't do what I need them to do, which is frustrating. I did try 57 & then went back to 56.0.2
Thanks

Wednesday January 31 2018, 8:38 AM
May I ask? :)
How did you REVERT back, step by step? When you were done did you get all your saved links and apps back?
I 'up-graded' from 47.0.2 to FF Quantum and LOST all my links and none of my 10 add-ons would work. All are gone. I dunno HOW to get them back?
Thank you, Linda

Debskinner

Post Posted January 31st, 2018, 10:31 pm

I just double clicked on install file for previous version. Seemed to work just fine. See this article https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... of-firefox
Hope it works for you

Return to Firefox Support