Bookmark menu disappeared, can't import or add new bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Gosia

Bookmark menu disappeared, can't import or add new bookmarks

Post by Gosia »

Good evening,

I would like to ask, how to restore my bookmarks menu.
Namely, without me doing anything my bookmarks disappeared . And what's worse, I even can't import my bookmarks again from a html-copy nor add any new bookmarks.
I reinstalled Firefox from scratch without any extensions, but the problem wasn't solved by that.

How can I fix the issue described above?
smsmith

Re: Bookmark menu disappeared, can't import or add new bookm

Post by smsmith »

To get the menu back, right click the toolbar and make sure that Menu Bar is checked.

You can also right click the toolbar, choose Customize, and then you can add the bookmarks menu to the toolbar. It looks like a star sitting in a tray and is conveniently labeled Bookmarks Menu.

From there you can open the bookmarks/places library and import your old bookmarks using Bookmarks -> Show All Bookmarks (CTRL+SHIFT+B).
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Gosia

Post by Gosia »

The menu bar is checked, but the problem persists.
The address bar also doesn't work i.e. after I type something in and press Enter nothing happens.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

All this also happens in safe mode?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Gosia

Post by Gosia »

Unfortunately, yes.
I deleted also the places.sqlite* file and refreshed Firefox, but this hasn't fixed the problem.
therube

Post by therube »

Deleting places.sqlite would delete your bookmarks.
You may have backups in the /bookmarkbackups/ folder.

Not sure what Refresh keeps/dumps, so you may also have backups on your Desktop (from the Refresh), but what it might contain would depending on in what sequence you did things.

In any case, I would backup what you have now, at the least.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

I would look to creating a new Profile & transferring (hopefully) valid data over from the old into the new.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Gosia

The problem was solved :-).

Post by Gosia »

I solved the problem.

Namely, I completely deleted any file of Firefox I had on my computer and then reinstalled Firefox anew.
During the reinstallation there was a question like "Do you want to return to the default settings, so that Firefox can work like new" to which I replied by clicking the "Refresh" button.