MozillaZine

How to disable FF update notification for Firefox 58.0.1?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MomAries

User avatar
 
Posts: 211
Joined: January 4th, 2007, 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Post Posted February 3rd, 2018, 10:46 am

Hi everyone, the problem on my end is Firefox stopped updating itself since version 57. I have to install a new version fresh every time it comes up.. I found on the Internet about: config... app.update.silent. Change value to "true". I have done that!! Did not work: still get notifications. In my case this notification is useless, and its quite annoying.
Is there any other way to stop that pop-up notification?
Thanks bunch, guys!
Many thanks to all the folks who help me with my problems.

therube

User avatar
 
Posts: 19161
Joined: March 10th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Post Posted February 4th, 2018, 7:08 am

Maybe delete the /updates/ directory & let it rebuild itself ? viewtopic.php?p=14782453#p14782453.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted February 4th, 2018, 8:35 am

i am pretty sure you have other issues to solve than using an outdated and vulnerable version
viewtopic.php?p=14790385#p14790385

MomAries

User avatar
 
Posts: 211
Joined: January 4th, 2007, 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Post Posted February 4th, 2018, 4:25 pm

therube wrote:Maybe delete the /updates/ directory & let it rebuild itself ? viewtopic.php?p=14782453#p14782453.


I deleted 3 'updates' directories. No difference. :(
Many thanks to all the folks who help me with my problems.

therube

User avatar
 
Posts: 19161
Joined: March 10th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Post Posted February 5th, 2018, 9:44 am

When you set app.update.silent, did you also check the value of app.update.enabled (that it is set to 'true')?

So you are now on FF 58.0.1?
Yet FF is still notifying you that there is an update available?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

MomAries

User avatar
 
Posts: 211
Joined: January 4th, 2007, 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Post Posted February 5th, 2018, 1:55 pm

therube wrote:When you set app.update.silent, did you also check the value of app.update.enabled (that it is set to 'true')?

So you are now on FF 58.0.1?
Yet FF is still notifying you that there is an update available?

Hi therube, I believe I had the value of app.update.enabled on True. But I need to double check.
That is correct - I have 58.0.1 version of FF and it is still notifying me of updates. ](*,)

Yes, I checked app.update.enabled Value is also set on True. Now I have in those columns: default boolean true.
And for app.update.silent I have in columns: modified boolean true.
Is that correct???
Last edited by MomAries on February 5th, 2018, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many thanks to all the folks who help me with my problems.

TheVisitor
 
Posts: 4685
Joined: May 13th, 2012, 10:43 am

Post Posted February 5th, 2018, 2:00 pm

MomAries wrote:
therube wrote:When you set app.update.silent, did you also check the value of app.update.enabled (that it is set to 'true')?

So you are now on FF 58.0.1?
Yet FF is still notifying you that there is an update available?

Hi therube, I believe I had the value of app.update. on enabled . But I need to double check.
That is correct - I have 58.0.1 version of FF and it is still notifying me of updates. ](*,)


In about:config what is the setting here: app.update.channel ?

Do you actually get an update when you do: Help->Firefox - click on the 'Check for updates' ?
Last edited by TheVisitor on February 5th, 2018, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MomAries

User avatar
 
Posts: 211
Joined: January 4th, 2007, 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Post Posted February 5th, 2018, 2:24 pm

TheVisitor wrote:
MomAries wrote:
therube wrote:When you set app.update.silent, did you also check the value of app.update.enabled (that it is set to 'true')?

So you are now on FF 58.0.1?
Yet FF is still notifying you that there is an update available?

Hi therube, I believe I had the value of app.update. on enabled . But I need to double check.
That is correct - I have 58.0.1 version of FF and it is still notifying me of updates. ](*,)


In about:config what is the setting here: [b]app.update.channel[b] ?

Do you actually get an update when you do: Help->Firefox - click on the 'Check for updates' ?

I have no idea what setting... In my previous message I laid out what I have in those columns after I changed the value.
For app.upd ate.silent I have modified boolean true.
Yes, I get an update when I go to Help "about Firefox" but it never updates any more (after v.57).
Many thanks to all the folks who help me with my problems.

Scribe_uk

User avatar
 
Posts: 34
Joined: April 15th, 2014, 9:16 am
Location: West London, England.

Post Posted February 6th, 2018, 6:27 am

Hi, this seems a bit confusing, but if you are on V57 and Firefox won't update, it's possible that it's got 'stuck,' so try downloading from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/ which should give you the latest version then hopefully when the next version - 59 is released on 13th March - https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar it will update normally - there may even be a 'dot' update before then - https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/

If you want to stop update notifications that drop down from the 3-bar menu, look for app.update.doorhanger in about:config and double click to change 'Value' from True to False, then restart Firefox. You will still get a window notifying you of updates, but it won't appear anything like as frequently.

MomAries

User avatar
 
Posts: 211
Joined: January 4th, 2007, 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Post Posted February 6th, 2018, 4:51 pm

[quote
If you want to stop update notifications that drop down from the 3-bar menu, look for app.update.doorhanger in about:config and double click to change 'Value' from True to False, then restart Firefox. You will still get a window notifying you of updates, but it won't appear anything like as frequently.[/quote]
I found a place in Options "Do not check for updates". Lets see what happens. I hope it will stop notifications.

BTW I don't know if it FF doesn't update only on my side because I still have Windows 7, or is it an issue of new FF versions?? :-k
Many thanks to all the folks who help me with my problems.

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Odin2 and 12 guests