MozillaZine

Ebay keeps getting added as a search engine

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tomatoshadow2

Post Posted February 8th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Hey everyone,

Any idea guys,why ebay is added back as a search engine, after it's been deleted? Should I be concerned?

Thanks

DanRaisch

Post Posted February 8th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Are there any other settings changes you have made that ARE being saved?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Preferences_not_saved

the-edmeister

Post Posted February 8th, 2018, 4:43 pm

eBay search is one of the included search engines. When one those are deleted it will be back with the next update; but if it is deselected (to not appear in the search UI Mozilla respects that user setting. So IMO just un-check it so you don't have to see it and don't remove it as a way of "hiding" it.

Since Firefox 34.0.5 those "included search engines" are stored in the omni.ja file which is replaced with every new minor or major update. I think that Mozilla is protecting their revenue stream from the included search engines.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

tomatoshadow2

Post Posted February 8th, 2018, 5:51 pm

@Dan, nope everything else is being saved. I thought it was a profile problem, because one time you told me not to use one profile for all my builds of Firefox. @the-edmeister That helps a lot Ed, considering I'm on Nightly, which updates all the time, thanks to the both of you.

Frank Lion

Post Posted February 9th, 2018, 8:14 am

Don't forget you might have to keep deleting/renaming the search.json.mozlz4 in your profile after updates, if you have your own searchplugins folder in there. Updates seem to confuse it.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Return to Firefox Support