Ebay keeps getting added as a search engine

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Tomatoshadow2

Ebay keeps getting added as a search engine

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Hey everyone,

Any idea guys,why ebay is added back as a search engine, after it's been deleted? Should I be concerned?

Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: Ebay keeps getting added as a search engine

Post by DanRaisch »

Are there any other settings changes you have made that ARE being saved?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Preferences_not_saved
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

eBay search is one of the included search engines. When one those are deleted it will be back with the next update; but if it is deselected (to not appear in the search UI Mozilla respects that user setting. So IMO just un-check it so you don't have to see it and don't remove it as a way of "hiding" it.

Since Firefox 34.0.5 those "included search engines" are stored in the omni.ja file which is replaced with every new minor or major update. I think that Mozilla is protecting their revenue stream from the included search engines.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

@Dan, nope everything else is being saved. I thought it was a profile problem, because one time you told me not to use one profile for all my builds of Firefox. @the-edmeister That helps a lot Ed, considering I'm on Nightly, which updates all the time, thanks to the both of you.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Don't forget you might have to keep deleting/renaming the search.json.mozlz4 in your profile after updates, if you have your own searchplugins folder in there. Updates seem to confuse it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)