Auto Update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
toolong

Re: Auto Update

Post by toolong »

Kevin McFarlane wrote:I think smsmith is asking whether ESR auto-updates to the major release (60 ESR or whatever) when that's due or do you have to uninstall the current version first?
The ESR updates to the next ESR. You stay in the ESR channel. To move to the Release channel you have to install a release. That will stay on the Release Channel.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

The Tinsmith wrote:
Kevin McFarlane wrote:I think smsmith is asking whether ESR auto-updates to the major release (60 ESR or whatever) when that's due or do you have to uninstall the current version first?
The ESR updates to the next ESR. You stay in the ESR channel. To move to the Release channel you have to install a release. That will stay on the Release Channel.
Yes, what I was wondering is, when ESR 60 drops, does your ESR 52.x automatically update to ESR 60, or are you just notified of the availability. Given ESR is "for the Enterprise", where auto updating can break mission critical applications, I would assume that it's not an automatic thing.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
toolong

Post by toolong »

Yes, what I was wondering is, when ESR 60 drops, does your ESR 52.x automatically update to ESR 60, or are you just notified of the availability. Given ESR is "for the Enterprise", where auto updating can break mission critical applications, I would assume that it's not an automatic thing.

It is an auto-update usually a day or so after the release. They have been in the past.

IIUC the idea of the ESR is to allow time to prepare for the changes and not to sit by and get punched in the face a year later. :-)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

smsmith wrote:Given ESR is "for the Enterprise", where auto updating can break mission critical applications, I would assume that it's not an automatic thing.
From what I understand, it is the Enterprise IT who decide this. Plus, the IT are often adding their own stuff to the program, prior to deployment so it would sort of have to be like that. 'Normal' users would have the same updating/not updating options.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164226

Incidentally, many of us recall how dismissive Mozilla were about Enterprise users, the old 'we don't need them' stuff? These days, I estimate Enterprise users make up around 30% of Firefox's entire userbase!

My logic for this is simple. Take the usage figures for any extension (some are public, if you want to check) and you see their daily users drop heavily at the weekends and over holidays. The only people that would use a browser like that are people using it at work.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
James

Post by James »

smsmith wrote:
The Tinsmith wrote:
Firefox 60.0 along with 52.8.0esr is scheduled for May 9th. The Firefox 61.0 Release, 60.1.0esr and 52.9.0esr is scheduled for June 26. So Firefox 52 ESR users will likely get a update to Firefox 60 ESR when 62.0 Release and 60.2.0esr is Released on August 21 as 52 ESR will be EOL then.