A couple of small issues with latest ESR

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

A couple of small issues with latest ESR

Post by dfoulkes »

In a prior post I had mentioned that I had to create my profiles again. My main profile (default) and a misc working profile. I restored my main profile from a backup.

Both profiles are working fine but there are a couple of minor issues that I have that I've not been able to resolve.

1. Say that I have Firefox closed. I have pinned shortcut icons on my Windows bar at the bottom. If I click on my default profile icon it starts Firefox with my other profile and not my default profile ... though I have that icon set to just start Firefox with nothing attached to it... (IE: stuff like -no- remote)...know what I mean? ...and I think that I know why it does that... I think... because there is something weird going on with the profile manager but I'll mention my number two issue first. This is what that shortcut looks like....
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

2. Now say that I finally get my default profile up and running and now I want to start my misc profile. I have that shortcut set up like this...
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P "0qqm2724.MISC" -no-remote
... and I have the profile manager set up like this...

But, I think all of my problems are related to the above pic of my mgr... when I start my second no-remote I still get the above profile mgr. screen...even though I have it set to not bug me with that screen... just start the profile. And if I turn that switch off and then on... it makes no diff. I've even closed Firefox completely and started the profile mgr. and turned that switch off/on start Firefox... no help... closed Firefox, started the profile mgr...reversed that switch and started Firefox... still no good. "Something" seems to be stuck in here and I looked at the lines within profile.ini and it seem good... here is the .ini stuff...

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=Main
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/1byc0rz3.Main

[Profile1]
Name=MISC
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/0qqm2724.MISC
Default=1

I do see in the profiles.ini file where both profiles have that isRelative=1 in there... is that the problem?

Anyway, hoping somebody can shed some light on this for me...I tried to include everything That I could think of ... in here.

Thanks.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Brummelchen

Re: A couple of small issues with latest ESR

Post by Brummelchen »

hint - when editing profiles.ini get rid of those silly pre-strings like "0qqm2724". just use "misc" and rename profile folder to "misc". those strings are used from firefox by security reason, but for general usage its pointless.

your problem ist "StartWithLastProfile=1" -> "StartWithLastProfile=0" -> that will make the link without "-p" ask for a profile to use.
the -no-remote makes that session not available for external links. firefox may start with profile-manager and ask for a profile to use.

or this way
[Profile0]
Name=Main
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/1byc0rz3.Main
Default=1
its all here, you only have to read the docs
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profiles.ini_file
Last edited by LIMPET235 on February 20th, 2018, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Some slight text editing.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

What happens if you edit General; Start with last Profile to 0 instead of 1.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Lnwdz

Post by Lnwdz »

Everything looks good except:

- The second shortcut would normally be
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P "MISC" -no-remote

- Set Main (not MISC) to be the default profile to use "without asking".
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Ok...thanks ALL.

I had created those two profiles using the 'normal' steps... I've done it in the past with no issues. But changing that line to read 0 and not 1 fixed one part... as Brummelchen and Grumpus pointed out.

Not sure why the normal process didn't work as 'normal' ... could be my 73 year old mind messed something up :-"

And thank you Lnwdz for pointing out that error in my shortcut. I had copied/pasted the naming from the Windows explorer when I set that up... I know to use the real name but again... I guess 73 years had failed me again. :lol:

All working properly now.. so again, thanks ALL.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!