Can't Disable Updating (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
freddygarvin

Can't Disable Updating (Linux)

Post by freddygarvin »

Hello - I'm running Ubuntu 16.04, which comes with Firefox 54. I don't like the newest version of Firefox, so I'd like to keep version 54, but somehow the option to disable updating doesn't show in the advanced options tab like it does on my Windows and Mac computers. Is there some way I can accomplish this? Thanks for any help.
Last edited by DanRaisch on February 23rd, 2018, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.
Grumpus

Re: Can't Disable Updating (Linux)

Post by Grumpus »

You can open Synaptic or the system Software Center and change the settings so downloads are not automatic.
Firefox on Linux systems does not have the automatic update, they come from the repositories for the OS.
In most cases automatic is not the default.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
James

Post by James »

freddygarvin wrote:but somehow the option to disable updating doesn't show in the advanced options tab like it does on my Windows and Mac computers.
This is because you are using a third-party package build from Ubuntu and not a official build from Mozilla say from http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/.
Grumpus wrote:Firefox on Linux systems does not have the automatic update, they come from the repositories for the OS.
They do if you are using the official builds from Mozilla and the Firefox folder has read/write permissions for the user.
milomak

Post by milomak »

you can pin packages to certain versions. for instance i had the following

Code: Select all

# cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/firefox-esr 
Package: firefox-esr
Pin: version 52*
Pin-Priority: 2000
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@James - no argument but it seemed a more stable install for those new to Linux.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

freddygarvin wrote:Hello - I'm running Ubuntu 16.04, which comes with Firefox 54. I don't like the newest version of Firefox, so I'd like to keep version 54 ....
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~