MozillaZine

Writing on the wall?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MozillaMonkey

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 11:40 am

It seems Firefox does not want me to use their browser.
They are trying to tell me this. How?

I just upgraded to the latest version that Win XP will allow, a couple of days ago.
Previous sluggish performance has now become totally unacceptable.

Pages taking forever to load on a fresh boot, no other programs running.
Startup message such as "Well this is embarrassing Firefox is having trouble recovering your windows and tabs..."

In contrast, same computer, same settings, same time, I start up a major competitor's browser and everything
works very fast!

I think that last line says it all.

CaJazzman

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 11:46 am

MozillaMonkey wrote:It seems Firefox does not want me to use their browser.
They are trying to tell me this. How?

I just upgraded to the latest version that Win XP will allow, a couple of days ago.
Previous sluggish performance has now become totally unacceptable.

Pages taking forever to load on a fresh boot, no other programs running.
Startup message such as "Well this is embarrassing Firefox is having trouble recovering your windows and tabs..."

In contrast, same computer, same settings, same time, I start up a major competitor's browser and everything
works very fast!

I think that last line says it all.

I would say, that having Windows XP is part of your issue. I, also would say, that as of today, most people have Windows 10, installed, and I do have that along with FireFox version 58, without any issues. Those other browsers just can't stand up to FireFox. 8-)

Frank Lion

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 11:54 am

MozillaMonkey wrote:I think that last line says it all.

It's what it doesn't say - what happened when you tried SafeMode? How about when you tried a new additional testing profile? - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

I know XP and you shouldn't be that slow or crashing with 52ESR on it.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

MozillaMonkey

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 2:17 pm

Frank Lion wrote:
MozillaMonkey wrote:I think that last line says it all.

It's what it doesn't say - what happened when you tried SafeMode? How about when you tried a new additional testing profile? - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

I know XP and you shouldn't be that slow or crashing with 52ESR on it.

Thanks for helping Frank.

I tried a new profile (something I didn't even know about) and everything is much faster now.
What does this tell me?
Can I port over my bookmarks from original profile or will that give me problems?

Frank Lion

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 3:25 pm

MozillaMonkey wrote:Thanks for helping Frank.

No problem.

MozillaMonkey wrote:I tried a new profile (something I didn't even know about) and everything is much faster now.
What does this tell me?

Not much. Sometimes old profiles pick up junk and old prefs from extensions and the like. It can be difficult/tedious to track down the real cause, it's easier just to make a new one and move on.

MozillaMonkey wrote:Can I port over my bookmarks from original profile?

Yep and other stuff like passwords, etc. Here's the method and full list, but try to keep your list down to the bare minimum, to reduce the chances of transferring over a perp. -

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... ew_profile
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

MozillaMonkey

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 8:45 pm

Frank Lion wrote:
MozillaMonkey wrote:Can I port over my bookmarks from original profile?

Yep and other stuff like passwords, etc. Here's the method and full list, but try to keep your list down to the bare minimum, to reduce the chances of transferring over a perp. -

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... ew_profile

Thanks Frank. I was going to start the porting process using the link you gave above.
But had a problem right at the beginning.

Step 2.
In the Firefox Menu select "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" and click "Open Containing Folder" (see note below)
I don't see any "Open Containing Folder" to click on. :(

DanRaisch

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 8:57 pm

The text is actually "Open Folder" and it's the 8th entry under "Application Basics".

Frank Lion

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 9:02 pm

MozillaMonkey wrote:Thanks Frank. I was going to start the porting process using the link you gave above.
But had a problem right at the beginning.

Step 2.
In the Firefox Menu select "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" and click "Open Containing Folder" (see note below)
I don't see any "Open Containing Folder" to click on. :(

Troubleshooting Info Page - top left it says Application Basics. Go down the list underneath that until you get to Profile Folder/Directory and the button you want is immediately to the right of that. Doesn't matter it's called (they keep changing the wording) just press it.

There's other ways to get to the profile, but that the safest and easiest. Plus, I, er, wrote the article you are now following so we should be OK, I reckon. ;)

MozillaMonkey

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 10:28 pm

Thanks Dan and Frank.
Well I followed all the directions and she's almost all done now.
Testing her out.

Here's what I noticed so far.
Better overall than originally.
I was getting frequent "Not responding" (at top) and so far got it only once. I'll keep an eye open for that.

Like before, there is a lag sometimes between when a bookmark folder is clicked and when it opens, seconds later.
Also sometimes a lag between when you hover your mouse over an entry in bookmark menu and when the item is actually highlighted.

I'll report back in a day or so on this.

Frank Lion

Post Posted March 2nd, 2018, 7:26 am

MozillaMonkey wrote:Here's what I noticed so far.
Better overall than originally.
I was getting frequent "Not responding" (at top) and so far got it only once. I'll keep an eye open for that.

Good.

The 'not responding' is usually due to really bad scripts (JavaScript) running on media pages and the like. Even Google Search result pages have unneeded scripts running. On known perp sites, a simple JavaScript toggle button is useful, you don't need anything more fancy than that.

MozillaMonkey wrote:Like before, there is a lag sometimes between when a bookmark folder is clicked and when it opens, seconds later.
Also sometimes a lag between when you hover your mouse over an entry in bookmark menu and when the item is actually highlighted.

I'll report back in a day or so on this.

Obviously, I'm replying to you but other people also get this, so I'm going to give a fuller reply.

What I'd like you to do is -

#1. Do this first - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ex ... r-transfer and export your bookmarks as HTML.

#2. Go to your new profile, using the method you now know and when it opens in Explorer, then exit Firefox.

#3. In your profile, rename the places.sqlite file to places1.sqlite and then restart Firefox.

#4. You will now have no bookmarks or history and you should just spend 15 minutes bookmarking a whole bunch of random websites and putting them into folders, if that is what you usually do. Then test to see if you still have this hanging/delay problem on bookmark folders/bookmarks.

#5. When done, just repeat #2 above and first rename that newly created places.sqlite file to placestest.sqlite and then rename your places1.sqlite file back to its original places.sqlite name. Restart Firefox and all will be as it was before.

#6. At your leisure, then report back here with your findings.

As you can imagine, I have a number of possible fixes depending on your results, none of which will involve you in losing any of your existing bookmarks.

dickvl

Post Posted March 4th, 2018, 7:35 am

What is the file size of places.sqlite and how many bookmarks and history items are in the file?

You can use a common character like a colon in the bookmarks and history search bar in the Library.

Return to Firefox Support