MozillaZine

Writing on the wall?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MozillaMonkey
 
Posts: 302
Joined: April 21st, 2008, 7:52 pm

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 11:40 am

It seems Firefox does not want me to use their browser.
They are trying to tell me this. How?

I just upgraded to the latest version that Win XP will allow, a couple of days ago.
Previous sluggish performance has now become totally unacceptable.

Pages taking forever to load on a fresh boot, no other programs running.
Startup message such as "Well this is embarrassing Firefox is having trouble recovering your windows and tabs..."

In contrast, same computer, same settings, same time, I start up a major competitor's browser and everything
works very fast!

I think that last line says it all.

CaJazzman

User avatar
 
Posts: 338
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 2:21 pm
Location: Vacaville,California

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 11:46 am

MozillaMonkey wrote:It seems Firefox does not want me to use their browser.
They are trying to tell me this. How?

I just upgraded to the latest version that Win XP will allow, a couple of days ago.
Previous sluggish performance has now become totally unacceptable.

Pages taking forever to load on a fresh boot, no other programs running.
Startup message such as "Well this is embarrassing Firefox is having trouble recovering your windows and tabs..."

In contrast, same computer, same settings, same time, I start up a major competitor's browser and everything
works very fast!

I think that last line says it all.

I would say, that having Windows XP is part of your issue. I, also would say, that as of today, most people have Windows 10, installed, and I do have that along with FireFox version 58, without any issues. Those other browsers just can't stand up to FireFox. 8-)

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 20200
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 11:54 am

MozillaMonkey wrote:I think that last line says it all.

It's what it doesn't say - what happened when you tried SafeMode? How about when you tried a new additional testing profile? - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

I know XP and you shouldn't be that slow or crashing with 52ESR on it.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

MozillaMonkey
 
Posts: 302
Joined: April 21st, 2008, 7:52 pm

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 2:17 pm

Frank Lion wrote:
MozillaMonkey wrote:I think that last line says it all.

It's what it doesn't say - what happened when you tried SafeMode? How about when you tried a new additional testing profile? - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

I know XP and you shouldn't be that slow or crashing with 52ESR on it.



Thanks for helping Frank.

I tried a new profile (something I didn't even know about) and everything is much faster now.
What does this tell me?
Can I port over my bookmarks from original profile or will that give me problems?

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 20200
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 3:25 pm

MozillaMonkey wrote:Thanks for helping Frank.

No problem.

MozillaMonkey wrote:I tried a new profile (something I didn't even know about) and everything is much faster now.
What does this tell me?

Not much. Sometimes old profiles pick up junk and old prefs from extensions and the like. It can be difficult/tedious to track down the real cause, it's easier just to make a new one and move on.

MozillaMonkey wrote:Can I port over my bookmarks from original profile?

Yep and other stuff like passwords, etc. Here's the method and full list, but try to keep your list down to the bare minimum, to reduce the chances of transferring over a perp. -

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... ew_profile
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

MozillaMonkey
 
Posts: 302
Joined: April 21st, 2008, 7:52 pm

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 8:45 pm

Frank Lion wrote:
MozillaMonkey wrote:Can I port over my bookmarks from original profile?

Yep and other stuff like passwords, etc. Here's the method and full list, but try to keep your list down to the bare minimum, to reduce the chances of transferring over a perp. -

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... ew_profile


Thanks Frank. I was going to start the porting process using the link you gave above.
But had a problem right at the beginning.

Step 2.
In the Firefox Menu select "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" and click "Open Containing Folder" (see note below)
I don't see any "Open Containing Folder" to click on. :(

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 121116
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 8:57 pm

The text is actually "Open Folder" and it's the 8th entry under "Application Basics".

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 20200
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 9:02 pm

MozillaMonkey wrote:Thanks Frank. I was going to start the porting process using the link you gave above.
But had a problem right at the beginning.

Step 2.
In the Firefox Menu select "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" and click "Open Containing Folder" (see note below)
I don't see any "Open Containing Folder" to click on. :(

Troubleshooting Info Page - top left it says Application Basics. Go down the list underneath that until you get to Profile Folder/Directory and the button you want is immediately to the right of that. Doesn't matter it's called (they keep changing the wording) just press it.

There's other ways to get to the profile, but that the safest and easiest. Plus, I, er, wrote the article you are now following so we should be OK, I reckon. ;)
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

MozillaMonkey
 
Posts: 302
Joined: April 21st, 2008, 7:52 pm

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 10:28 pm

Thanks Dan and Frank.
Well I followed all the directions and she's almost all done now.
Testing her out.

Here's what I noticed so far.
Better overall than originally.
I was getting frequent "Not responding" (at top) and so far got it only once. I'll keep an eye open for that.

Like before, there is a lag sometimes between when a bookmark folder is clicked and when it opens, seconds later.
Also sometimes a lag between when you hover your mouse over an entry in bookmark menu and when the item is actually highlighted.

I'll report back in a day or so on this.

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 20200
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted March 2nd, 2018, 7:26 am

MozillaMonkey wrote:Here's what I noticed so far.
Better overall than originally.
I was getting frequent "Not responding" (at top) and so far got it only once. I'll keep an eye open for that.

Good.

The 'not responding' is usually due to really bad scripts (JavaScript) running on media pages and the like. Even Google Search result pages have unneeded scripts running. On known perp sites, a simple JavaScript toggle button is useful, you don't need anything more fancy than that.

MozillaMonkey wrote:Like before, there is a lag sometimes between when a bookmark folder is clicked and when it opens, seconds later.
Also sometimes a lag between when you hover your mouse over an entry in bookmark menu and when the item is actually highlighted.

I'll report back in a day or so on this.

Obviously, I'm replying to you but other people also get this, so I'm going to give a fuller reply.

What I'd like you to do is -

#1. Do this first - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ex ... r-transfer and export your bookmarks as HTML.

#2. Go to your new profile, using the method you now know and when it opens in Explorer, then exit Firefox.

#3. In your profile, rename the places.sqlite file to places1.sqlite and then restart Firefox.

#4. You will now have no bookmarks or history and you should just spend 15 minutes bookmarking a whole bunch of random websites and putting them into folders, if that is what you usually do. Then test to see if you still have this hanging/delay problem on bookmark folders/bookmarks.

#5. When done, just repeat #2 above and first rename that newly created places.sqlite file to placestest.sqlite and then rename your places1.sqlite file back to its original places.sqlite name. Restart Firefox and all will be as it was before.

#6. At your leisure, then report back here with your findings.

As you can imagine, I have a number of possible fixes depending on your results, none of which will involve you in losing any of your existing bookmarks.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

dickvl

User avatar
 
Posts: 52490
Joined: July 18th, 2005, 3:25 am

Post Posted March 4th, 2018, 7:35 am

What is the file size of places.sqlite and how many bookmarks and history items are in the file?

You can use a common character like a colon in the bookmarks and history search bar in the Library.

MozillaMonkey
 
Posts: 302
Joined: April 21st, 2008, 7:52 pm

Post Posted March 4th, 2019, 6:37 pm

I am still grudgingly using FF.

On my desktop (WinXP), which I am delaying transitioning over to a Win 8.1 notebook,
I continually get the dreaded "Not responding" (at top) and everything grinds to a halt for 10, 20 30 seconds or more.

As recommended I have tried starting a fresh profile. That helps for a week or two and then it too starts to get bogged down!
My New Profile is now just as slow as the original one!

Over to my Win 8.1 on my notebooks.
Although the system and FF is much faster in general there, I still get the dreaded "Not responding" (at top) very often.
Too often for my taste.

On both systems I am forced to keep Chrome as a backup when FF misbehaves.
Why doesn't Chrome give me the "Not responding" messages at the top?

kerft
 
Posts: 98
Joined: January 30th, 2019, 9:38 am

Post Posted March 4th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Make sure you have all passwords for sites written down. Then, I wonder if clearing stored data would speed your profile. Do not do this if you use custom zoom levels for various websites. Press ctrl-shift-delete and set the dropdown for everything and check various boxes, then click clear now. If you don't want to clear all types, you can check only clear "offline website data". Then close and restart the browser. If that does not help, try a new profile and only install the most essential extensions. Only an adblocker, or something for some other urgent need.
Lots of people have problems with Chrome, but since it uses a process per tab, many problems can be temporarily fixed by closing the tab of the bad site. For now in Firefox if you have been on a bad site, to get a similar effect you may need to Restart Firefox after a problem, or in worst cases bookmark all tabs (ctrl-shift-D) and then start Firefox with no tabs open.

MozillaMonkey
 
Posts: 302
Joined: April 21st, 2008, 7:52 pm

Post Posted March 4th, 2019, 8:39 pm

kerft wrote:Make sure you have all passwords for sites written down. Then, I wonder if clearing stored data would speed your profile. Do not do this if you use custom zoom levels for various websites. Press ctrl-shift-delete and set the dropdown for everything and check various boxes, then click clear now. If you don't want to clear all types, you can check only clear "offline website data".....


Thanks for the tips kerft!

Right now I have started a new profile and DID NOT import all of my old bookmarks.
Maybe they are the culprit?

I will take it one step at a time and see what triggers the problems.
And I will also use your advice along the way.
Thanks again!

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests