MozillaZine

Move bookmarks and other settings to new Ubuntu install

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
macamba

Post Posted March 7th, 2018, 11:28 am

I'm moving Ubuntu to another hard disk, and have troubles getting my Firefox profile activated. I'm clearly doing something wrong.

I searched on 'firefox move profile to new computer', noticed it is all about Windows. For instance this page. In the end I copied my ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxaaann.default to the other HD, but saw that my bookmarks where not displayed. Do I have to start my old installation, export my bookmarks, start up my new installation, and import them? I remember less troubles moving my profile from my old PC to this one.

Grumpus

Post Posted March 7th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Look in your home/name/mozilla/firefox/xxxxaaaannnn.default for the bookmarks backup folder.
If you copied the entire folder /home/name/mozilla/firefox/xxxxaaaannnn.default you should be able to see the bookmarks backupfolder.
All the subfolder should have been copied.
Also, look at "about:profiles" and see what shows.
You may want to open /Bookmarks/Show all Bookmarks (or something similar) and see if there's a command for the bookmarks.
These may help"
Profile Manager - Note the Linux section
Recover a missing Profile
Profile Backup

macamba

Post Posted March 7th, 2018, 11:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I did copy the complete (looks on old HD)
Code: Select all
/home/macamba/.mozilla/firefox/51c43yr7.default-1446362679725
directory to my new HD. It did not show up in the profile manager. Now I have backed up my bookmarks to a bookmarks.html file, and am hoping I can import in my new installation.

macamba

Post Posted March 8th, 2018, 2:34 am

It seems the directory was transferred successfully after all. I was ready to import the exported bookmarks, but saw the bookmarks I wanted to import already in the list. So I tried to open my 'Bookmarks Menu Toolbar', (|||\ --> Bookmarks --> Bookmarking Tools --> Add Bookmarks Menu Toolbar), and nothing happened. In so far that the button/address bar on top of my browser broadened a bit, nothing showed, and when I right-clicked on it could instruct to 'Open in all tabs'.

I'm running Firefox 58.0.2 (64-bit).

Grumpus

Post Posted March 8th, 2018, 5:38 am

If you open "Show all Bookmarks" (may be Manage Bookmarks) and open "Import Backup/Restore" does a list of dates for the bookmarks available appear?

macamba

Post Posted March 11th, 2018, 7:31 am

It is now working as it should. The toolbar-bar appeared after a reboot. So copying the contents of your profile directory to the new system should work (just posting for someone else struggling with this problem).

Return to Firefox Support