Firefox Hangs Itself and Whole Computer at 100% cpu

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ckani

Firefox Hangs Itself and Whole Computer at 100% cpu

Post by ckani »

I am having a very bad issue with firefox hanging the computer with one tab open at 100% cpu usage, no extension or anything else. Have to either log out of my user account or wait for task manager to start so I can force close it.

Computer is a Lenovo Yoga 151kb 16gb memory, Nvidia 940mx. Even full featured 3d games do not lock down this computer like firefox newly installed with one tab open.
LIMPET235

Re: Firefox Hangs Itself and Whole Computer at 100% cpu

Post by LIMPET235 »

Try > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

Moving to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
ckani

Post by ckani »

Doesn't help there are no extensions or themes on Firefox at all as I have uninstalled it several times. I have not had any chance for customization yet. I tried this safe mode earlier yesterday and thought it might help because it worked fine for 30 minutes or so but, I clicked to download a phone rom and the activity indicator looked like it was about to start downloading and bam the whole computer froze again and under Windows 10 x64 task manager 100% cpu again with exactly 768mb memory used every time with one tab open.

Shamefully I have been stuck using a combination of Chrome/Pale Moon in attempt to get anything done.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.8.1
not firefox related -> go https://forum.palemoon.org/
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Safe Mode does more than disable extensions:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoting dfoulkes:

-- What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

The 30 minutes it was oK could relate to this, possibly - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14787876

30 minutes is also the safebrowsing update interval.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ckani

Post by ckani »

I think that I finally got it to work well. When being uninstalled it did not remove completely so whatever issue Firefox had persisted. I used a guide to remove remnants manually and Firefox seems to be behaving today.