Major Problem with Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
therube

Re: Major Problem with Firefox

Post by therube »

I have had a lot of tabs open (10 -12)
That is hardly "a lot".
many of those to news outlets that pump a lot of advertising to the site in the form of video
Now that is totally different.
I have 4 tabs open and 7 firefox images
What are "images"? As in like, pictures, or?

Let us know if 59.0.2 starts behaving better.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

Ok. Problem still exists after upgrade to 59.0.2. I had 6 tabs open, only 4 of them were to news sites which have a lot of video advertising on them. I brought up the resoursce monitor and watched the main firefox.exe process with the largest commit grow from 3gb to 8 gb in just a few minutes before I shut down FF because I didn't want to deal with another crash. Running out of memory is not a good thing for windows.

Something is definitely wrong. This behaviour was definitely introduced in the new version of FF with the overhauled core engine and brand new technology. I need to get answers quickly because FF is basically unusable for me in the work I do.

Any ideas folks. Can we get someone working on this please.
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

The only thing that may fix it is to uninstall FF, and completely delete all traces of it, and then try again. The one time I had issues, and couldn't fix it with the install I had was to do just that. Click on the menu, then help, then troubleshooting, and open the profile folder directory. Uninstall FF, and then backtrack just a bit in the profile to get to the main folder, and delete it. If you use sync you should be able to sign back in after the reinstall, and all your settings/bookmarks/extensions should come back. If you don't use sync you'll have to set it up manually, but to me it's worth a try. Just before you sign in (if using sync) do a bunch of tests to see if the issue is gone. If so you're good to go, but if it comes back after using the same profile then something in it is causing it, and you may need to uninstall/delete again, and start a whole new profile to rid the issue.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

dmcmillen

You've mentioned a number of times that it seems that the problem is caused when sites display 'video ads' ... if that is the case, do you have any ad-blocking extensions in there?

Also... a post of 3-4 of those specific sites which cause this issue would be a good thing... other could see what happens in their system then.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

What are "images"? As in like, pictures, or?
Sorry, used the wrong term. I meant processes.
The only thing that may fix it is to uninstall FF, and completely delete all traces of it, and then try again.
That would be an absolute last resort. Drastic and no guarantee it would work.
You've mentioned a number of times that it seems that the problem is caused when sites display 'video ads' ... if that is the case, do you have any ad-blocking extensions in there?
The one site that I think is the culprit I had blocked with AdBlock Plus, but as many sites are starting to do, this one recognized that an adblocker was turned on, and then blocked the screen with a message until I unblocked it. For many sites, ads are their only form of revenue to survive. Welcome to the transition from print to digital. I will contact the site and see what the options are.
Also... a post of 3-4 of those specific sites which cause this issue would be a good thing... other could see what happens in there system then.
It is when viewing an article that you get all the advertising.
http://www.salon.com - I believe is the main culprit
http://www.truthdig.com
http://www.mediamatters.org

All this being said, as I try to find a workaround, there is definitely a bug that needs to be fixed, if someone can isolate it. Last night it happened quickly and was like a runaway train. The 2 times that it crashed FF before it took quite a while. Last night I was watching one FF process consume memory at an alarming rate. And I believe all the other processes were growing as well.

I am trying to describe the behavior as best I can, understanding that it is easy to make assumptions about cause and effect. But it is definitely FF. No doubt at all about that.

I have been a FF user since the beginning and I love the sync feature which allows me to sync everything to my laptop. It's a great feature. But, if this can't be fixed I am going to have to switch browsers in order to be able to continue to work.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

dmcmillen wrote:
Also... a post of 3-4 of those specific sites which cause this issue would be a good thing... other could see what happens in there system then.
It is when viewing an article that you get all the advertising.
http://www.salon.com - I believe is the main culprit
http://www.truthdig.com
http://www.mediamatters.org
I've just browsed to Salon, opened the first article and turned off ad blocking. Now I'll wait to see what happens. I'll report back in a few hours, unless I've had a crash by then.
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

I've just browsed to Salon, opened the first article and turned off ad blocking. Now I'll wait to see what happens. I'll report back in a few hours, unless I've had a crash by then.
Sometimes I have 3 or 4 salon articles open at once. Haven't really figured out what triggers it. Just guessing now. Hope you can reproduce. One of the other posts above had noted a lot of java activity from the crash report.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

Well, no problem for me just for one Salon page open with ads and Firefox open for 10 hours.
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

Well, no problem for me just for one Salon page open with ads and Firefox open for 10 hours.

Don't you just love these problems! Might want to try with several open. You running Win 7?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

sorry, my bad - just using wrong search engine (bugzilla)

graphics driver outdated since 5 years (v311.xx)
description": "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti ",
"driverVersion": "9.18.13.1106",
"driverDate": "1-18-2013",
current
http://www.nvidia.de/download/driverRes ... /132868/de

related bug
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1344539
fixed in firefox 59/60!

the bug linked from Bobby concerns firefox 59, but your crash concerns v58 - wrong conclusion.
but that issues was fixed with 59.0.,2 so at least your firefox should run without issues.

if not try a fresh profile - without ANY additional extension!

btw i have 169 tabs open in my other profile - not issues (no issues also with >>200)
trolly

Post by trolly »

Any addons?
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

No addons and 3 extensions: Adblock Plus, Print Edit WE, Video Download Helper
graphics driver outdated since 5 years (v311.xx)
I will update to 391.01. Already knew about that one.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

running firefox 59.0.2 x64 on win7-x64 with such extensions - all fine. no crash nor memory hogs. same for my profile.

(anyhow - ABP, never again)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Apologies for being pedantic but extensions are addons.
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

Apologies for being pedantic but extensions are addons.
Of course. Not sure what I was thinking.