Major Problem with Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dmcmillen

Major Problem with Firefox

Post by dmcmillen »

I am currently on FF 59.0.1 on Win 7. I believe this problem started in v57 or 58.

If you have a large number of tabs open, each with a lot of activity, FF will eventually use up all of available memory and generate a Windows Warning and then FF will eventually crash. After the crash it is not possible to restore. I have 16GB and it only takes a couple of hours to use up all the memory, not using FF but just there with the tabs open. Monitoring the memory with the Windows Resource Monitor you can watch each of the FF images grow in size.

Right now I have 4 tabs open and 7 firefox images, 4 of which are the top memory commits on the machine.

This is a major problem. Is FF is aware of this and if so is there a fix or eminent release to fix the problem. I have been a FF user for many years, but at this point I have absolutely no trust in using FF.

David
Brummelchen

Re: Major Problem with Firefox

Post by Brummelchen »

provide links to the crash-reps please
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mo ... shreporter

ps
no major problem as you are the only one reporting with a unique system configuration

if firefox exceeds memory its always caused by plugins or antivirus-software going wild, less a driver problem.
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

Are you saying a Win 7 machine running 59.0.1 is a unique configuration? I find that hard to believe.

Also, in this case when FF crashes, it does not crash with the Mozilla Crash Reporter, it crashes with an exception. Remember we ran out of memory.

There have been no changes to my system configuration and this problem started with the new FF. I'm not saying that there can't be another cause other than FF, but based on experience I find it unlikely. This problem is difficult to reproduce because it takes a lot of tabs kept up for long time each with a lot of activity (video ads, etc.) that are constantly being refreshed and changed as sites like to do with their advertising and it takes some time to chew up all the memory. The first error generated is the windows low memory error and sometime after that is the FF crash. If I had to guess I guess that Mozilla made major changes in the way FF runs in that release.

The next time this happens I will attempt to get the crash exception code as the last time it disappeared from the screen. Strange, but typical to experience odd things when out of memory.

This is eerily reminiscent of the old, old days when if coders didn't release allocated memory correctly, over time with different applications doing this the machine would eventually run out of memory and crash depending on the machine. We called these "memory leaks" This of course is different.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
The next time this happens I will attempt to get the crash exception code as the last time it disappeared from the screen.
The link on how to find & post the Crash Reports was posted by "Brummelchen."
Just post the links to the latest few.

Moving to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

Ok, found the crashes. How do I send to Mozilla? Since the app was killed I never got a chance to submit and I don't see an option here while viewing the crash.

Update: it looks like viewing it submits it. Is that true??
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

If you go back to the link & scroll down to "Viewing crash reports"
you can copy & paste a few links in here.
Just the ID numbers.
&...Check the next section on "Viewing reports outside of Firefox"
to add them to the list.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

Do, or do not. There is no try.
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

Does look like my issue may be related, although I have not observed out-of-control thread creation. What I observed in the Resource Monitor was the existing threads growing in size.

I don't yet have an option to upgrade from 59.0.1 to 59.0.2 ???

BTW, clicking and viewing one of the Unsubmitted Crash Reports it then moves the Submitted Crash Reports.

I believe that bp-96486c06-295b-4b7c-9e6a-1d3e60180326 is a memory crash.
trolly

Post by trolly »

That's more or less an out-of-memory crash.

Available Page File 9,068,544 bytes (9.07 MB)
Available Physical Memory 40,411,136 bytes (40.41 MB)
System Memory Use Percentage 99
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

Probably no way to tell from the crash what caused FF to use it all.
trolly

Post by trolly »

From what I see it is a reasonable assumption that JavaScript is involved.
127 threads, 125 sleeping and the other two shows the jit compiler.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

I wonder if that could be JavaScript running/controlling content in the tabs? The times it has occured I have had a lot of tabs open (10 -12) and many of those to news outlets that pump a lot of advertising to the site in the form of video.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

bp-96486c06-295b-4b7c-9e6a-1d3e60180326
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 3e60180326

Sorry, I can't find "BP96486C06295B4B7C9E6A1D3E60180326". It does not seem like bug number nor an alias to a bug
i gave you a link with an exact description what we need and how to perform it:
Brummelchen wrote:provide links to the crash-reps please
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mo ... shreporter
where is the problem now - understanding or language in general?

sorry, wrong search engine
Last edited by Brummelchen on March 30th, 2018, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

I have viewed the crash report and have provided the ID above and below. I am unable to paste the crash link here; unable to paste anything except text. Trolley who posted above has been able to read the crash report based on the ID I provided. If you want me to do something else then you will need to more exact in what you are asking me to do.

The ID in the crash report is: ID: 96486c06-295b-4b7c-9e6a-1d3e60180326 which is what I pasted above without the "bp-"

Here is the link I saved: 96486c06-295b-4b7c-9e6a-1d3e60180326.htm
dmcmillen

Post by dmcmillen »

Quick update. FF automatically upgraded to 59.0.2 this morning.