Make bookmarks menu behave like chrome browser

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
DPW49

Make bookmarks menu behave like chrome browser

Post by DPW49 »

Hi,
I recently decided to try firefox browser again instead of chrome, one feature I really do prefer is how the saved bookmarks act in chrome. Is there anyway to have firefox bookmarks menu act like it does in the chrome browser ?
Thanks,
David :roll:
LIMPET235

Re: Make bookmarks menu behave like chrome browser

Post by LIMPET235 »

&, How exactly does Firefox differ from Chrome, re; the Bookmarks issue?
A little more detail will be required, as we don't all use the Chrome browser.

Moving to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DPW49

Post by DPW49 »

Hi,
The main difference is the bookmark directory structure, when you select the bookmark folder that the desired bookmark is in, and move your mouse cursor, then a sub folder is displayed that contains the bookmark you are wanting to open. After clicking on the bookmark to open it, all of the folder's are automatically closed until you open up your bookmarks again. In chrome the last bookmark that you opened stays open until you manually close it.
David
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

DPW49 wrote:Hi,
The main difference is the bookmark directory structure, when you select the bookmark folder that the desired bookmark is in, and move your mouse cursor, then a sub folder is displayed that contains the bookmark you are wanting to open. After clicking on the bookmark to open it, all of the folder's are automatically closed until you open up your bookmarks again. In chrome the last bookmark that you opened stays open until you manually close it.
David
I have played around with Chrome and have no idea what you are talking about.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I also just played with my portable Chrome... created a few bookmarks on it bookmarks bar the created a folder and moved those bookmarks into it... then clicked on that folder then clicked on a bookmark and the folder list closed. Maybe you have an extension in there that control some of that stuff?

I do know that in versions of Firefox it you do a CTRL+b it will open up the sidebar displaying all bookmarks and folders... if you click on a folder it expands it and then if you click on bookmark it opens that site AND does not close those folders. Have you tried that?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
DPW49

Post by DPW49 »

Hi Everyone,
Sometimes I have difficulty in explaining to others exactly what I'm trying to describe, in reality..right now I feel as though there are actually several good browser's available. I would include opera as one of those..due to the fact that is has a vpn client already included within the browser.
David
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

DPW49 wrote:Sometimes I have difficulty in explaining to others exactly what I'm trying to describe, in reality..right now I feel as tho
Yeah, whatever, just concentrate on explaining this -
DPW49 wrote:Is there anyway to have firefox bookmarks menu act like it does in the chrome browser ?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

See this pref:
browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu
DPW49

Post by DPW49 »

Hi dickvl,
I toggled that setting from true to false, I didn't see where it made any difference.
David
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

DPW49 wrote:Hi,
David
You need to elaborate more on this... especially the RED areas that I pointed out. As I stated before (and others have too) ... we don't get what you get in Chrome. I asked it you had an extension in Chrome to handle that... I got no answer.

AND..... a user can get into bookmarks a number of ways ... in both browsers... and depending on how you got into them will affect the outcome of (in this case) folder display. An example of that is in Firefox if you are in the Bookmarks manager and click on a folder and then click on a bookmark that folder and the expansion of its bookmarks will still be expanded.... but not if you are just clicking on a folder on your bookmarks toolbar and Chrome is doing the same thing here...

And... again, in using the bookmarks side-bar in Firefox ...it will also keep those folder/bookmarks displayed...as I mentioned before.

Anyway, so, in both browsers, how are you arriving at those folders.....in other words, what did you click on to get there.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
DPW49

Post by DPW49 »

Hi All,
dickvl said " See this pref: browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu , by toggling that setting, at least now the bookmark menu stays open. Please don't get me wrong, I do enjoy using firefox, especially now that it's much faster than it used to be.
David
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

As the OP seems to have achieved his goal,
this is being locked.

Start a new thread if necessary.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)