MozillaZine

Passwords transfer

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
55trucker

Post Posted April 13th, 2018, 4:03 am

Hello:

It's been discussed elsewhere on other 3rd party forums, transferring one saved passwords from Another browser to here (Quantum), but the answer was not quite satisfactory.

How does one transfer the saved passwords from an older browser that does not make use of key4.db to Firefox 59 that DOES use key4.db?

My current browser is Pale Moon 27.8, I've been using this browser for some time seeing as it still supports the theme I've been using for nearly 8 years (Noia4).

I've transferred over the bookmarks to Firefox but the passwords are proving to be a bit more difficult, I haven't found an extension in the add-ons in Mozilla that will do the job.

I have made use of a password manager for Pale Moon that created an xml file for moving them but Firefox 59 doesn't offer a provision to import a file other than scanning Internet Explorer for items to move.

thx in advance

Frank Lion

Post Posted April 13th, 2018, 4:50 am

55trucker wrote:How does one transfer the saved passwords from an older browser that does not make use of key4.db to Firefox 59 that DOES use key4.db?

You just delete the existing key4.db file in the new Firefox profile first, before adding the key3.db one.

It then takes the hint and converts this to its new format. Do anything else and it'll keep on using its default key4.db.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

55trucker

Post Posted April 13th, 2018, 8:42 am

Thank you so much for letting me know, I would never have thought of that,

greatly appreciated.

Return to Firefox Support