Firefox crashing and using 90% cpu

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Mcd73165

Firefox crashing and using 90% cpu

Post by Mcd73165 »

I am currently using Firefox 64 bit version 59.0.2 on an HP Windows 10 Desktop. Usually after a few hours a tab will not complete loading and Firefox can only be shut down with the task manager. When this problem occurs the cpu usage is extremely high as well as memory usage. I've tried safe mode, new profile and complete reinstall but problem keeps happening. The only thing I haven't tried is installing an earlier version. I saw a thread similar to this some time ago but don't remember if problem was ever resolved. I never had this problem on my previous Windows 7 HP Desktop. Any input would be much appreciated. I've been using Chrome lately and this problem never happens. Thanks!
Mark
therube

Re: Firefox crashing and using 90% cpu

Post by therube »

about:crashes, the last few related crash report URLs?
cpu usage is extremely high as well as memory usage
Just what is "extremely high"?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.
Mcd73165

Post by Mcd73165 »

therube wrote:about:crashes, the last few related crash report URLs?
As I mentioned in the post title, cpu usage at 90% (sometimes more). Memory usage can be near 1GB. Right be fore my initial post I deleted all Profiles and any Firefox leftover files and did a fresh Firefox install. I set up my addons and entered in my commonly used sites, saved passwords and settings. So far the problem has not reoccurred after 2 days of almost continued use. I'll wait to see what happens after a few more days and post back. Keeping my fingers crossed because I really love FF.
Mark
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

Mcd73165 wrote:
As I mentioned in the post title, cpu usage at 90% (sometimes more). Memory usage can be near 1GB.
The CPU is high. The memory isn't. Right now I'm at nearly 3GB. I also have Opera open and that's at 2.2GB.

Firefox has 63 tabs open, Opera has 36. I have 16GB RAM.
Mcd73165

Post by Mcd73165 »

Kevin McFarlane wrote:
Mcd73165 wrote:
As I mentioned in the post title, cpu usage at 90% (sometimes more). Memory usage can be near 1GB.
The CPU is high. The memory isn't. Right now I'm at nearly 3GB. I also have Opera open and that's at 2.2GB.

Firefox has 63 tabs open, Opera has 36. I have 16GB RAM.
I also have 16MB of Ram. I don't have a crash report because I deleted previous profiles and reinstalled FF before my initial post and so far the problem hasn't happened again. Also usually don't have more than 12 tabs open. Thanks for your input.
Mark
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

I've certainly had high CPU before, though not as high as yours but significant enough to notice the performance degradation. However, I've not experienced this since Quantum. It might be extension-related of course.
Mcd73165

Post by Mcd73165 »

Kevin McFarlane wrote:I've certainly had high CPU before, though not as high as yours but significant enough to notice the performance degradation. However, I've not experienced this since Quantum. It might be extension-related of course.
Kevin, as stated in my initial post , safe mode and a new profile didn't stop the problem. But problem still has not happened again in the last 4 days since my last FF install. I have no idea why the problem happened to start with but for now seems ok. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Mark
Mcd73165

Post by Mcd73165 »

The problem happened again last night after about 6 days. There was nothing for a crash report to be entered. This never happened on windows 7 so I'm thinking that Windows 10 may have something to do with it. I don't think this problem will be resolved as I've tried everything possible.
Mark
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

about:crashes, the last few related crash report URLs?
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
Mcd73165

Post by Mcd73165 »

I don't think anyone will be able to come up with a definitive answer to this issue. Thanks to everyone that responded to this thread.
Mark
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

without any crash report we are not able to help, your choice out of here.
and system analysis is also not out part. you have all clues, work with it, good luck.
Mcd73165

Post by Mcd73165 »

I did more searches on my problem and came up with several hits with others having the same crash issue with FF Quantum on Windows 10. The following fixed the issue for some.
1. Don't use the Default Theme. (switched to Light theme)
2. In Options-Privacy & Security, place a check mark in Prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser
I'll post back in awhile with my results.
Mcd73165

Post by Mcd73165 »

I finally found a fix for my Firefox Quantum crashing issue. My PC is a new HP Pavilion Desktop with Windows 10 Home and an Intel 7th generation i5 CPU with HD630 integrated graphics and 12GB of RAM. The crash happened at random intervals when loading a tab which would freeze Firefox and use as much as 90% CPU. It could only be shut down via Task Manager. After much searching on this issue, these are the 3 things that stopped these crashes.
1. Don't use the Default Theme.
2. In Options-Privacy and Security, place a checkmark on Prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser.
3. In Options-General under Performance, uncheck Use hardware acceleration when available. This is done by removing the checkmark from Use recommended performance settings. I think in my case that this is the setting that most likely corrected my issue. I hope that this may help others that may have the issue that I had.
Mark