Cannot Connect To Outlook In Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: Cannot Connect To Outlook In Firefox

Post by Frank Lion »

OneTrueFriend wrote:I run 360 Total Security Antivirus.
Yep, you've already mentioned that.

I think in terms of time and ease to progress this one, you first need to make an additional Firefox profile - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14798921 It's quick and easy and it'll eliminate the profile (but not the Firefox program itself) Who knows? It might even fix this.

Then you need to do this - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14798922 i.e. uninstall 360 with the right tool.

Good as it is to hear your update, nothing is going to move forward on this one until the above two steps are complete.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
OneTrueFriend

Post by OneTrueFriend »

Brummelchen wrote:try a clean profile

create a new profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

if that wont help uninstall your antivirus (if not Windows defender)
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... OWN_ISSUER
https://support.mozilla.org/de/questions/1206816
Many thanks.
I feel that I need to download a fresh version of Firefox, but when I go to do that I get the same error message that I get when trying to connect with Outlook - Your Connection Is Not Secure.
Today I spoke to my ISP and they say that, as the problem does not happen in Firefox on a different laptop - the problem has to be with Firefox on this machine.
It would seem that your solution is the best one but I am wondering if I will lose all my open tabs and settings with the new profile.
A fresh download would probably avoid this problem but that is not possible.
I would appreciate your help.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Downloading a "New" FF will do nothing. FF does not change in a given version. All the changes are in the profile. If you create a new temporary profile and the issue goes away, there are ways of getting back things like bookmarks, history, passwords, ....

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
OneTrueFriend

Post by OneTrueFriend »

Have to leave it at that for tonight but the great news is that the problem does not happen in new profile.
Now I need to move everything over.
OneTrueFriend

Post by OneTrueFriend »

[quote="RobertJ"].
Downloading a "New" FF will do nothing. FF does not change in a given version. All the changes are in the profile. If you create a new temporary profile and the issue goes away, there are ways of getting back things like bookmarks, history, passwords, ..

.[/quote

Having created new profile I would appreciate any help I can get for getting bookmarks, extensions etc back
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox

Note that in most cases it's better to download and install each extension you wish to retain, rather than try to move any extensions from the old profile. That ensures that only the most up to date version is installed and also gives one a chance to decide if any particular extension is still needed.
OneTrueFriend

Post by OneTrueFriend »

DanRaisch wrote:See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
Will do.
Thanks.
OneTrueFriend

Post by OneTrueFriend »

DanRaisch wrote:See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox

Note that in most cases it's better to download and install each extension you wish to retain, rather than try to move any extensions from the old profile. That ensures that only the most up to date version is installed and also gives one a chance to decide if any particular extension is still needed.
That is very helpful to know and I would prefer to do it that way.
But what about current open windows and tabs.
Can you tell me please what you would recommend for transferring those.
Thanks.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

OneTrueFriend wrote:But what about current open windows and tabs.
Can you tell me please what you would recommend for transferring those.
Right click one of the tabs and choose Bookmark All Tabs. Give the bookmark group a name and choose a storage location in your bookmarks system. Do that for each open window, storing the bookmarks in separate folders so you can recreate the windows later. Pinned tabs will not be saved in the group. After you have transferred your bookmarks to the new profile, you simply go that set of bookmark folders and choose Open All in Tabs. Open each group of folders in their own window.

Session data used to be stored is sessionstore.js. What file(s) is it stored in now? Is it just the sessionstore-backups folder?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
OneTrueFriend

Post by OneTrueFriend »

Thanks.
Don't think I have ever had to use sessionstore and not sure where it is.
Am happy to use the bookmarks option.
OneTrueFriend

Post by OneTrueFriend »

Almost there.
Because I use a Firefox extension called One Tab I got the bright idea that I would transfer all open windows and tabs to that and would then only have to do one copy and paste to install everything in the new profile, plus tabs already stored in One Tab.
For some reason that did not work.
It copied alright, but would not paste.
Tried to email One Tab but the link would not open.
As XMarks is due to close today I did not want to risk bookmarking everything in case they became lost.
Can't understand why I cannot just paste One Tab in the new browser.
It would the most simple solution of all to my novice thinking.
therube

Post by therube »

So long as you have a backup of your backup ...

Not sure exactly of what all goes on, though I believe the way FF's sessions work is something like...

FF closed, a sessionstore.js file should exist in your Profile folder
Additionally, various "backups" exist in /sessionstore-backups/

When you open FF...

sessionstore.js is used to restore your session (either manually or automatically, depending on your settings)
& at the same time it "vanishes", having moved to /sessionstore-backups/previous.js

When you quit FF, FF's session at that point, is written back out to sessionstore.js

Something of that nature.

IMO, with FF closed, if you simply copy the sessionstore.js file, & the /sessionstore-backups/ directory, from the old to the new, then open the new, you should be OK (again with the session opening either automatically or manually, depending on your settings). (Now you can't not open that session, quit FF & restart, because at that point, your [prior] session data is gone, having been replaced with that of your last quit... except that it may exist as one of the other backups in /sessionstore-backups/.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
OneTrueFriend

Post by OneTrueFriend »

Thank you so much for taking so much time and trouble.
I really appreciate it.
All of the extensions have been added one by one and this is the final hurdle to creating the new profile.
Unfortunately I have to go out now but I am looking forward to trying out your suggestions as soon as I get back.
Very many thanks again.
Will keep you posted.
OneTrueFriend

Post by OneTrueFriend »

Success!
Everything now in order.
Tabs and Windows from previous profile have all been transferred and all new extensions have been installed.
The browser is working perfectly and there is no difficulty in reaching any sites.
Very many thanks to all who contributed to the solution.