Other Bookmarks vs Bookmrk Menu

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
TDV

Other Bookmarks vs Bookmrk Menu

Post by TDV »

Since Mozilla forced another unasked for "improvement" down user's throats, new bookmarks are now stored in Other Bookmarks by default.

This has turned out to be a massive nuisance if you add a new bookmark and forget to also click to change to store Bookmark Menu. You will not find your bookmark again for a while. And as if that were not stupid enough, it is a real insult if you also want to use that new Bookmark in a New Folder, as there is no way to place that new folder in the Bookmark Menu.

How can I avoid this bs and change the default from "Other Bookmarks" back to "Bookmark Menu"?

Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: Other Bookmarks vs Bookmrk Menu

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... rk-folder/

Note that sometimes, it takes a moment before the little bookmark added panel updates to the Bookmarks Menu, but in the background, the extension has directed the new bookmark there.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I drag-n-drop all my bookmarks into the correct folders. Gives me total control.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
ghot

Post by ghot »

Yes, there are a couple work arounds. Question is... WHY?
Why aren't the folks that are making these inane decisions, taken out back and... flogged or something? :D
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

How fast are you saving bookmarks that you can't change the folder in the quick bookmark part of the panel . . .
. . . or use the smaller arrow to the right to place it in the more extended folder tree.
If more folders are needed why isn't a little foresight applied and one or more folder added under the Bookmarks manager or Show all bookmarks.
Is it expected the bookmarks will remain on the last bookmark folder used?
Seems strange for a complaint but then I'm not of your world. :new-alien:
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
TDV

Post by TDV »

DanRaisch wrote:Moving to Firefox Support.
Thank you,. my fault....
TDV

Post by TDV »

jscher2000 wrote:Add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... rk-folder/

Note that sometimes, it takes a moment before the little bookmark added panel updates to the Bookmarks Menu, but in the background, the extension has directed the new bookmark there.
THANK YOU !!!!

If this works, it will be great!
TDV

Post by TDV »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:I drag-n-drop all my bookmarks into the correct folders. Gives me total control.
In case you had not noticed.... the whole thing has worked perfectly for about twenty years . May I inquire what great advantage the developers saw in changing this NOW?

I do a lot of research and constantly mark new pages, and if I occasionally forget to click on the whole unnecessary nonsense I will find a bookmark, that I might have needed a few days earlier, inside other bookmarks.

And as you did not seem to notice: my question implied: Why was it chnged in the first place? What was the advantage?
TDV

Post by TDV »

ghot wrote:Yes, there are a couple work arounds. Question is... WHY?
Why aren't the folks that are making these inane decisions, taken out back and... flogged or something? :D
I guess, and that is something I see in almost ALL developments and "improvements" lately for firefox, these things are done by people whose job is basically redundant, but to keep it (and they do get paid well) they have to come up with some change. In their robot-like binary brains, they have no room for reflections of the kind of "There is a difference between a change and an improvement.

Remember the not-so.long-ago story with the MrRobot ad and the whole telemetry?

Seems to me for a very long time, firefox is the one least bad of all the browsers, all the others are worse. If there were a good one, hardly anyone would be using Ff any longer.
TDV

Post by TDV »

Grumpus wrote:How fast are you saving bookmarks that you can't change the folder in the quick bookmark part of the panel . . .
. . . or use the smaller arrow to the right to place it in the more extended folder tree.
If more folders are needed why isn't a little foresight applied and one or more folder added under the Bookmarks manager or Show all bookmarks.
Is it expected the bookmarks will remain on the last bookmark folder used?
Seems strange for a complaint but then I'm not of your world. :new-alien:
THAT IS NOT THE QUESTION !!!!

Why was it changed in the first place.I did not change anything, THEY DID! And you CANNOT Use the small arrow, because it does not let you access subfolders inside a bookmark folder!

Yes, you indeed live in another world, you have no idea that a world in which others live actually exists. In our grown-up world no one would get the idea to write a braindead, totally unnecessary comment like yours, when someone asks a simple question, to which he has no answer. You are not adding anything to the thread, other than implying your superiority to us fools... something that did not really work now, did it?
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

TDV wrote:
ghot wrote:Yes, there are a couple work arounds. Question is... WHY?
I guess, and that is something I see in almost ALL developments and "improvements" lately for firefox, these things are done by people whose job is basically redundant, but to keep it (and they do get paid well) they have to come up with some change. In their robot-like binary brains, they have no room for reflections of the kind of "There is a difference between a change and an improvement.

Remember the not-so.long-ago story with the MrRobot ad and the whole telemetry?

Seems to me for a very long time, firefox is the one least bad of all the browsers, all the others are worse. If there were a good one, hardly anyone would be using Ff any longer.
It's true of most software, not necessarily a FF thing. They change and upgrade and actually the new version is worse than the old. And new bugs for old. Grumpus is just agreeing with you that there's no logic to it.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

TDV,
Please....We like to keep things civil in here, so no personal comments or run downs.....O.K.?

You said...
......they have no room for reflections of the kind of "There is a difference between a change and an improvement...
Sort of Off Topic but I think relevant...
You want another example of the above?
Check out what AVAST have "included" in their "new & improved version of an A/V program."
They installed an ".exe" to auto update any old/er versions of CCleaner, without the users permission.
Talk about "malware."
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@TDV - My thought here, was it seems a minor issue for so much disappointment.
Also, maybe it's just Linux systems versions but I can access sub and sub sub folders using the small arrow.
I would provide a picture but unfortunately I can't take a screen shot and have the bookmarks menu stay open.
I've saved this page a number of times in testing.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

TDV wrote:May I inquire what great advantage the developers saw in changing this NOW?
You'd have to ask the developers, instead of railing about it here, where all we are trying to do is help you figure out how to survive in this post apocalyptic world of ours.

Help -> Submit Feedback

or

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/contribute/ <-- Scroll down to Communicate
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.