Twitter video "grayed out"

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: Twitter video "grayed out"

Post by Frank Lion »

billku wrote:Ugh, I know, it's a hard one, so weird.
Yep, I've got this one figured, I think. It's a 'website disconnected penalty' thing - IMDB stopped you viewing their trailers if you blocked ads, Vimeo blocks vids if you block autoplay and ...just by elimination * from the things you've tried......Twitter is stopping you viewing their vids if you block their....cookies!

Go to a Twitter page, right click, select Page Info > Permissions > Cookies and select 'Allow for Session'. After a page reload or maybe a Firefox restart, the vids should play.

* normal/safemode/new profile/ renamed prefs.js on normal and figuring the differences each makes.

This 'solution' will either be really good or totally wrong. :P
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
billku

Post by billku »

That worked!!! Thanks so much, you rock!!! What's odd is that the setting was on "allow," so wouldn't that have been an even better option selected than "allow for session"?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

billku wrote:That worked!!! Thanks so much
No problem, glad to help.

The trick with this stuff is to try to look at things from the website's POV, instead of the vast range of variables possible from the OS and program POV, i.e. what info can they access and what do they want.

It also helps to know, through experience, that a checked checkbox/radio button doesn't always mean that the program thinks it is! There will be some hidden logical reason why your 'Allow' wasn't allowing here, but I just stick to what works and leave it at that.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)