Ads across sites

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MozillaMonkey

Re: Ads across sites

Post by MozillaMonkey »

Thanks siffemoz.
Can you or someone else briefly explain how 3rd party cookies work, in contrast to 'regular' cookies?
Are they stored in the same cookie jar for the site? How can you cherry pick cookies from a site and
decide which ones to to keep and which to discard?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Third-party cookies are cookies that are set by a website other than the one you are currently on. For example, cnn.com might have a Facebook like button on their site. That like button will set a cookie that can be read by Facebook." Third party cookies are stored in the same databases as regular cookies.

There are so many cookie manager add-ons it can be tough to pick one. Everybody seems to have a different favorite. The self-destructing cookies add-on worked well for me. However it doesn't work with Firefox Quantum. If you're using a recent version of Firefox take a look at the cookie autodelete add-on which is a WebExtension based add-on inspired by that add-on.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Cookies
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

MozillaMonkey wrote:Thanks siffemoz.
Can you or someone else briefly explain how 3rd party cookies work, in contrast to 'regular' cookies?
Are they stored in the same cookie jar for the site? How can you cherry pick cookies from a site and
decide which ones to to keep and which to discard?
Many people end up spending an awful lot of time on this stuff, but it's deadly boring and I wouldn't get caught up in it all, if I were you.

Just set all cookies for 'Allow for Session' and forget about them. Doing that is enough to stop them trailing after you and building up any sort of picture/pattern of you. Then get yourself an adblocker extension, like uBlock Origin, and again just forget about this stuff.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

Frank Lion wrote: Many people end up spending an awful lot of time on this stuff, but it's deadly boring and I wouldn't get caught up in it all, if I were you.

Just set all cookies for 'Allow for Session' and forget about them. Doing that is enough to stop them trailing after you and building up any sort of picture/pattern of you. Then get yourself an adblocker extension, like uBlock Origin, and again just forget about this stuff.
Thanks Frank (and all that replied above).
I will check out the links mentioned, but in the end, I think I will 'set and forget' as Frank advises.
"Allow for Session" sounds like it will do the trick for me (along with an adblocker). :)
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

Frank Lion wrote:
Frank I could really use your help with this.

The past few weeks have been a real pain surfing the net.
I have been using No Script Suite Lite and Firefox (set to remember sites/cookies).

Each time I return to a site I have to 're-add' the site to the White List in No Script Suite Lite.
I would have thought that No Script Suite Lite would remember the sites on the White List?

So help setting up No Script Suite Lite or some other tips would be very appreciated.
Don't know where to set cookies for 'Allow for Session'?
In addition, the whole browsing experience has been slow/non-responsive and otherwise not very pleasant.

Just downloaded uBlock but don't know how to set up with FF and No Script Suite Lite.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

MozillaMonkey wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:
Frank I could really use your help with this.

The past few weeks have been a real pain surfing the net.
I have been using No Script Suite Lite and Firefox (set to remember sites/cookies).

Each time I return to a site I have to 're-add' the site to the White List in No Script Suite Lite.
I would have thought that No Script Suite Lite would remember the sites on the White List?

So help setting up No Script Suite Lite or some other tips would be very appreciated.
Don't know where to set cookies for 'Allow for Session'?
In addition, the whole browsing experience has been slow/non-responsive and otherwise not very pleasant.

Just downloaded uBlock but don't know how to set up with FF and No Script Suite Lite.
#1. Uninstall No Script Suite Lite (blocking ads will block the main slowing down scripts from those ads as well, so this isn't needed.)

#2. I don't have 52 on this box, but here's my cookie setup for Firefox 60. Just do the same -

http://franklion.co.uk/SNAG-0005.png

#3. Make sure you have installed the proper uBlock Origin and not one with a similar name. This is the right one and it needs no 'setting up', it just works pretty well out of the box and fine tuning can be done later, if needed. - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... ck-origin/

This adblocker will dramatically speed up webpage loading on ad heavy sites, like this type - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/index.html
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

MozillaMonkey wrote:No Script Suite Lite
What is "No Script Suite Lite" ?

This, No-Script Suite Lite (Add-on SDK) 0.2.1 ?
If that, having no clue as to what it is, I would uninstall it.
(Oh, & that is NOT "NoScript" aka NoScript Security Suite.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

therube wrote:
MozillaMonkey wrote:No Script Suite Lite
What is "No Script Suite Lite" ?

This, No-Script Suite Lite (Add-on SDK) 0.2.1 ?
If that, having no clue as to what it is, I would uninstall it.
Yeah that's the bugger I had installed!
I thought it was simply an improved version of NoScript. :(
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

Frank Lion wrote: #1. Uninstall No Script Suite Lite (blocking ads will block the main slowing down scripts from those ads as well, so this isn't needed.)
Thanks, that was the big culprit!
#3. Make sure you have installed the proper uBlock Origin and not one with a similar name. This is the right one and it needs no 'setting up', it just works pretty well out of the box and fine tuning can be done later, if needed. - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... ck-origin/
I got rid of NSSL (a total nightmare) and have uBlock Origin installed and things are much better now! :)
Thanks a lot Frank.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

MozillaMonkey wrote:Thanks a lot Frank.
You're welcome.
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

Overall, things have improved a lot by just using uBlock Origin and setting "keep cookies until I close Firefox".
I'm having a problem now with one site in particular that keeps sending me e-mails each time I visit it!

It's very annoying. It tells me such and such a computer just logged into our site on this computer with this
operating system at this date/time. If it was you, you can ignore this message..yada yada etc.

How do I "keep cookies until I close Firefox" and also put certain sites on a White list that stay after I close Firefox?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

MozillaMonkey wrote:I'm having a problem now with one site in particular that keeps sending me e-mails each time I visit it!

It's very annoying. It tells me such and such a computer just logged into our site on this computer with this
operating system at this date/time. If it was you, you can ignore this message..yada yada etc.

How do I "keep cookies until I close Firefox" and also put certain sites on a White list that stay after I close Firefox?
That sounds like GMail? If so, set up a filter (see top of GMail page to the right of 'Search Mail') and have their dross sent straight to Spam or Delete. That way, you never see it.

Whatever else you do, never White list Google, as they are by far the worst of all of them!

I have 'Allow for Session' (until I close or whatever) for all cookies, as mentioned previously. I also have precisely 2 sites from the entire Net (both Government portals) that I have 'whitelisted' so that cookies persists with those sites across sessions. Here's how -

#1. Go to desired webpage and right click and select Page Info.
#2. Go to Permissions and change the cookie settings for that one site to 'Allow'.
#3. You're done.
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

Frank Lion wrote:
MozillaMonkey wrote:I'm having a problem now with one site in particular that keeps sending me e-mails each time I visit it!

That sounds like GMail? If so, set up a filter (see top of GMail page to the right of 'Search Mail') and have their dross sent straight to Spam or Delete. That way, you never see it.
Actually it's a site called Etsy. I have white-listed them but they continue to send these e-mails.

I have 'Allow for Session' (until I close or whatever) for all cookies, as mentioned previously. I also have precisely 2 sites from the entire Net (both Government portals) that I have 'whitelisted' so that cookies persists with those sites across sessions. Here's how -

#1. Go to desired webpage and right click and select Page Info.
#2. Go to Permissions and change the cookie settings for that one site to 'Allow'.
#3. You're done.
Thanks, I have used this method for several sites now. It has taken care of the ads, but there is still an annoying problem.
I have to keep on entering my e-mail/password for the sites.

Don't know how to fix this.
It is my understanding that there are 3 ways that e-mail/passwords are memorized:
1. The site itself (via its cookies)
2. Firefox
3. 3rd party password saver apps.

I used to use 3rd party apps before in combination with 1/2 before and my passwords were always entered automatically.
Now they have stopped.
Any ideas what I should do (and keep the ads away)?

TIA
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

That sounds like GMail?
google in general, dropbox and some other services. for fast action if hijacked.
I used to use 3rd party apps
almost all buggy with latest firefox. praying benefit but suck at all.