Profile transfer

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
TDV

Profile transfer

Post by TDV »

I have three questions about the Firefox profile.

1. Is it possible to transfer it from a Win7 desktop to a Win 10 tablet ?

2. Is it possible to transfer a Ff profile from a 32 installation to 64 installation?

3. Is it at least possible to transfer just the bookmarks?

Thank´You...
Frank Lion

Re: Profile transfer

Post by Frank Lion »

Yes, to all 3.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
TDV

Post by TDV »

Frank Lion wrote:Yes, to all 3.
Wow, thank you.... that is really great!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

TDV wrote:
No problem.

I'm reckoning that at some point you're going to get around to asking how all this is done? If so, you'll need a flashdrive and this link - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... ew_profile
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
TDV

Post by TDV »

Frank Lion wrote:
TDV wrote:
No problem.

I'm reckoning that at some point you're going to get around to asking how all this is done? If so, you'll need a flashdrive and this link - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... ew_profile
No., no.... I have done it many times, but only from Win7 to Win7. Now I have a tablet using Win10.
So you are right after all. :) Where is the profile in Win10? Its my first Win10. (I could not avoid it any longer, needed a 10")

Your link does not tell me: Do I put the copy of the old in the local or the root directory?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

TDV wrote:Your link does not tell me: Do I put the copy of the old in the local or the root directory?
It does tell you, but in a roundabout way -
#2. In the Firefox Menu select "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" and click "Open Containing Folder". When the profile folder appears, close Firefox.
The article has to cater for all levels of experience by users, and indeed also cover different operating systems. So, I figured letting Firefox find its own profile like this was better than inexperienced users hunting around for it.
TDV

Post by TDV »

Thank you,

Indeed, indeed... nothing wrong with roudabouts.
But the question was: Do I put the copy of the old profile in the local or the root directory? Because....
When I follow this: "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" and click "Open Containing Folder". Then I am offered those two options...
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

TDV wrote:When I follow this: "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" and click "Open Containing Folder". Then I am offered those two options...
about:profiles offers two options (you want Root), but, unless something odd is going on, about:support (Help -> Troubleshooting Information) has only one and that takes you straight to the right profile.

That's why I always refer to the latter method, as about:profiles confuses people, I've found. Plus, the term 'root' has a different meaning with the Linux OS.

But..for you..take the root path and overwrite stuff within the existing profile folder.
TDV

Post by TDV »

Frank Lion wrote:
TDV wrote:When I follow this: "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" and click "Open Containing Folder". Then I am offered those two options...
about:profiles offers two options (you want Root), but, unless something odd is going on, about:support (Help -> Troubleshooting Information) has only one and that takes you straight to the right profile.

That's why I always refer to the latter method, as about:profiles confuses people, I've found. Plus, the term 'root' has a different meaning with the Linux OS.

But..for you..take the root path and overwrite stuff within the existing profile folder.
Thank you....
TDV

Post by TDV »

One more question...

If I use Ff on Android, is it possible to install the profile there too? And if yes, how?(I cannot find a guide...)