is it possible to selectively clear form history?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ginahoy

is it possible to selectively clear form history?

Post by ginahoy »

I frequently rely on the 'form history' feature that pre-fills email address, name, etc when submitting various website forms. If there a way to selectively delete stored data on a per-field basis, or for a given web page? Or maybe an add-on to manage form-history, similar to password management add-ons? This would avoid having to clear the entire form history and start over again -- for example, if I make a typo when submitting a form.
dickvl

Re: is it possible to selectively clear form history?

Post by dickvl »

There is this extension, but you will have to update to Firefox 56 or later.
Form History Control https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... y-control/

compatibility.firefox: {"max":"*", "min":"56.0"}
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

The extension dickvl mentioned is likely the safest way, but if you like to twiddle you can delete selectively with DB Browser for SQLite (http://sqlitebrowser.org). Install it first, then:

- click FF Menu/Help/Troubleshooting Information
- click the Application Basics/Profile folder/Open folder button
- close FF and make a copy of formhistory.sqlite, then double click it

The DB browser should open and load that file. To delete entries:

- under Tables, R. click moz_formhistory and choose Browse table
- click the fieldname or value header to sort
- for any entries you want to delete, L. click the number to the far left of the entry
- click the Delete record button

When done, you'll be prompted to save.
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

Thanks. I already have a FF add-on that can browse and delete records from sqlite database (SQLite Manager). Not sure why I didn't think of that!
Wow. My form history table has nearly a thousand entries! Probably best to delete and start fresh. In the meantime, I just deleted a particularly annoying entry that prompted my question =D>
Last edited by ginahoy on May 8th, 2018, 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

I used to use SQLite Manager until Quantum came along :-)
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

See these pages about starting SQLite Manager as a standalone XULrunner application with Firefox 52 ESR:
https://github.com/lazierthanthou/sqlit ... /issues/31
https://github.com/lazierthanthou/sqlit ... r/releases

Download and save: sqlitemanager-xr-0.8.3-all.zip
Extract all files in the ZIP archive to a folder (sqlite-manager) and add a link (full path) to application.ini to the command line you use to start Firefox 52.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Moz ... #XULRunner
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

Thanks for the tip. I'm unfamiliar with XULrunner apps. You referred to FF52 ESR, but is it possible to run SQLite as standalone XULrunner app after I upgrade to Quantum? I just read the wikipedia page that said XULrunner is no longer supported.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

A lot of XUL has and is being removed from Firefox.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ginahoy wrote:I frequently rely on the 'form history' feature that pre-fills email address, name, etc when submitting various website forms. If there a way to selectively delete stored data on a per-field basis, or for a given web page?
Try this - https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/co ... tocomplete
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Frank Lion wrote:
ginahoy wrote:I frequently rely on the 'form history' feature that pre-fills email address, name, etc when submitting various website forms. If there a way to selectively delete stored data on a per-field basis, or for a given web page?
Try this - https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/co ... tocomplete
Deleting individual form entries

If you want to remove one of your previous form entries from Firefox's history:

Click on the form field and press the ↓ key to display all the saved entries. You may type the first few letters of the entry to limit the number of entries displayed.
Use the ↓ key or the mouse pointer to highlight the entry you wish to delete.
Press Delete. The entry will be removed.

Repeat the process for each entry that you'd like to delete.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

Deleting individual form entries

If you want to remove one of your previous form entries from Firefox's history:

Click on the form field and press the ↓ key to display all the saved entries. You may type the first few letters of the entry to limit the number of entries displayed.
Use the ↓ key or the mouse pointer to highlight the entry you wish to delete.
Press Delete. The entry will be removed.

Repeat the process for each entry that you'd like to delete.
Sounds simple enough but it doesn't work. If I select an entry from the drop-down and press the delete key, that only removes it from the field. It's still in the drop-down and is not removed from the database.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ginahoy wrote:Sounds simple enough but it doesn't work. If I select an entry from the drop-down and press the delete key, that only removes it from the field. It's still in the drop-down and is not removed from the database.
Well, in that case, you'll have to take the far harder router of editing using a SQLite editor, won't you?
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

...in that case, you'll have to take the far harder router of editing using a SQLite editor, won't you?
Sure, but I'm curious why Mozilla put up a help page with instructions that don't work. I suspect it either worked with previous versions and that feature was eliminated, or it only works for versions more current than what I'm running.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You need to install Firefox 52 ESR in order to use SQLite Manager.
Starting SQLite Manager as a XULrunner application allows to use the extension without the need to open a browser window, so you only use Firefox 52 ESR to get XULrunner support.

Note that the user agent shows that you use the Firefox version from the Ubuntu repositories.
Ubuntu has a habit to customize its version, so it might behave differently than the official Firefox version.

Note that you need to use the cursor Down key to highlight (select) an item in the drop-down list and press Delete to remove the highlighted entry.
ginahoy

Re: is it possible to selectively clear form history? (SOLVE

Post by ginahoy »

dickvl wrote:Note that the user agent shows that you use the Firefox version from the Ubuntu repositories.
I have two machines. My XP machine is running 52 ESR with SQLite as an add-on. My Linux machine is running FF 55 from the Ubuntu repository. I'm interested in installing 52 ESR on my Linux machine so I can run SQLite stand-alone.
...you only use Firefox 52 ESR to get XULrunner support.
So it's possible to install two different versions of FF on the same machine? I'm intrigued, but that sounds tricky. Both the program and the profile paths would need to be different, no?
Note that you need to use the cursor Down key to highlight (select) an item in the drop-down list and press Delete to remove the highlighted entry.
OK. The above-linked Mozilla page says to use either the down cursor or mouse pointer. I only tried the mouse. I just tried using the cursor to highlight and it works! True, that's a lot easier than editing the database since I can do it immediately in like 2 seconds when I see an entry that doesn't belong. Thanks! I'm still curious about installing two versions of FF on same machine if you don't mind explaining that.