Back button not working on some sites

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Jezzabel

Back button not working on some sites

Post by Jezzabel »

This is a problem that I had a long time ago and then seemed to have been corrected, but has now popped back up about 6 - 8 weeks ago. It still exists in version 60.

On some sites if you click and hold the back button, the current page will be displayed multiple times. For me, this happens the most on washingtonpost.com. I have deleted the Mozilla profile and created a new one, done a refresh in Firefox, reinstalled Firefox and disabled all add-ons. None of these worked with this issue. However, if I start a new private window, I do not have this issue.

Then another issue with the back button is that if I click back I am returned to an older version of the page I started from. I have seen this on cnn.com where if I start on their home page, click on a story and then click back, I am returned to their homepage of hours or days earlier than where I started from.
mgagnonlv

Re: Back button not working on some sites

Post by mgagnonlv »

Have you tried to click the back button a long time? If you click a long time, you'll see a menu of previous pages. Check this menu to see if what you think is the previous page is, in fact the second-to-last page. Why would that happen? Some sites do a redirection rather than address "replacement". For instance, you type somesite.com/thisLink and it it forwarded to somesite.com/wp/this-is-the-real-page-to-see. If the website developers have programmed their site to *forward* to the complete address, then clicking on "back" sends you to somesite.com/thisLink... which forwards again to the page you are seeing. So if that's the case, then the "Back" button is in fact doing exactly what it should do!

Now I can't say this is what happens with the Washington Post, but I have seen it with many Google pages (esp. with their automatic country redirection) and on a few other sites.

As for returning to an older version, it's either a problem with cache management (i.e. your browser) or with the way they create their pages. Many sites use Javascript to dynamically fill the content of a page and that oftentimes fouls the browser. You may want to empty the browser's cache to remove old versions from the disk and see if it solves the problem.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

provide some information please (about:support -> text, not raw)
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ix-firefox

i an not confirm the issue, and in special not for WP.

an image could help some more, please do.
therube

Post by therube »

I might have just run across something similar yesterday.
Click a link, page opens.
Tried to go back, but ended up where I was, not where I wanted to go back to.
After a few attempts, checked the back-arrow history, & saw the same page in history, multiple times.

Seeing that, I chose the link prior to where the nonsense started.

I took it to be specific, purposeful coding on the sites in question as a "money making" scheme, as an alternative to having pop-up or pop-under windows opening.

(I have no idea what site it was, simply chalked it up as an inconvenience.)

Additionally, over time (& again names escape me) certain sites, even if legitimate one, have failed to populate back-arrow "history" in a manner one might expect.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Jezzabel

Post by Jezzabel »

I noticed FF updated yesterday to 60.0.1

My problem seems to have been corrected.