FF60 - can't play cnn.com videos

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ed1

FF60 - can't play cnn.com videos

Post by Ed1 »

I can no longer pay cnn.com videos. I have tried in FF safe mode as well with no success. I have toggled hardware acceleration off and on to no effect. I have turned off Tracking Protection but no change. I have Firefox set to accept cookies and keep them until they expire. In addition, cnn.com is listed specifically in the cookies exceptions list as being Allowed to load cookies.

As far as I can recall, this began with FF60.

I note from right-clicking the cnn.com video still image that it says it runs on THEOplayer, which I had not heard of before.

The cnn.com videos run fine on Chrome. Videos on other web sites run fine on Firefox.

Ideas, anyone?
DanRaisch

Re: FF60 - can't play cnn.com videos

Post by DanRaisch »

No problem here playing videos on CNN.COM using Firefox 60.0.1 under Win 10.
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Thanks, Dan.

Just created a new profile and haven't added any extensions. The cnn.com videos now play.

The old profile was set in about:config to block media.autoplay. With that setting, autoplay was blocked and I could still play videos by clicking on them. I just now toggled the setting from True to False and cnn.com videos now autoplay.

How do I block revert to blocking autoplay and still have the ability to start these videos manually?

Why did the autoplay blocking work before FF60 and now it also blocks manual video playing?
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

The video playing on cnn.com using the old profile seems to be working correctly after I Toggled the media.autoplay setting on and off a few times.

Thanks.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Ed1 wrote:The video playing on cnn.com using the old profile seems to be working correctly after I Toggled the media.autoplay setting on and off a few times.

Thanks.
From my experience that won't last once you quit and restart FF
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6