MozillaZine

Can I stop a page from loading?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
moz2u

Post Posted June 6th, 2018, 7:26 am

How often have we been scanning down a page and as it detects we're in a certain area everything slows down because its loading some ads or some video? The old Opera had a feature where you could just hit the Escape button and it would kill that incessant loading. Wondering if Firefox offers anything like this? Hitting Escape doesn't do anything it seems or maybe websites are getting more sophisticated and can bypass whatever Escape does in Firefox. I do use an AdBlocker and its great but often the content is video that isn't blocked by AdBlocker. I don't even know what this feature would be called so I can look for a possible extension. Of course it would be best to be able to do this without an extension/add-on since we all know how often they are rendered useless after a Firefox upgrade.

One of the worst offenders is Facebook. So often things crawl when the Status Bar on the bottom pops up informing me something is happening with Facebook. Is there any way of blocking all connection with Facebook? That would be great! They're like a dead weight when you're browsing. Maybe Firefox will add a Facebook block in Permissions in a future build. Better yet it should be in Options for the entire browser!

Grumpus

Post Posted June 6th, 2018, 10:05 am

When loading a page the reload icon should change to an X. Clicking on that X should stop the process.
You should also be able to click the back arrow or, if you set home to about:blank that would do it as well.

moz2u

Post Posted June 6th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Cool...I'll try that.
Since is videos that seem to be the biggest resource hogs (besides Facebook), can I block videos from ever loading in about:config? I didn't see anything in Permissions that seemed relevant but there are a pile of options in about:config that are video related. I don't have a clue though which one I should try. It would be much better to be able to do it per website but hey, beggars can't be choosers!

siffemoz

Post Posted June 7th, 2018, 1:10 am

In about:config, media.autoplay.enabled set to False will stop videos from playing until you click to play.

Re Facebook, not sure if what you're talking about popping up is FB push notifications, but if it is, you can disable that in FB settings (https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=n ... =push&view). And you can also block them in FF Options > Privacy and Security > Notifications.

Brummelchen

Post Posted June 7th, 2018, 5:55 am

media.autoplay.enabled set to False will stop videos from playing until you click to play.

you got the "zonk" now. and if clicked he only gets audio, video is dead.

moz2u

Post Posted June 7th, 2018, 6:39 am

Got it! Thanks!

James

Post Posted June 7th, 2018, 4:45 pm

The media.autoplay.enabled preference can cause issues on some sites and people may forget they have it set.
ex: Bug 1231886 - media.autoplay.enabled set to false is breaking user experience (videos won't play)

A alternate preference to try instead is to try toggling the media.block-play-until-visible Preference to true as it stops media from auto-starting in background tabs.

Another Preference is media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground

moz2u

Post Posted June 7th, 2018, 7:15 pm

> A alternate preference to try instead is to try toggling the media.block-play-until-visible Preference to true as it stops media from auto-starting in background tabs.

I don't have that one. I do have
media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground
set to true though.

Return to Firefox Support