Is it possible to eliminate the Address Bar?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FrankSMS

Is it possible to eliminate the Address Bar?

Post by FrankSMS »

I'd like to browse in Full Screen all the time using Alt_D to use the Address Bar. Internet Explorer used to do this. It was great. Only visible when you need it. For some reason on my archaic Win7 32bit machine IE doesn't seem to install. But I just tried Avant which apparently is an IE based browser. You use Alt_D and type in your address. A popup at the top appears with suggestions as well as what you're typing. The font is a little small but perhaps that can be adjusted. As soon as you hit Enter it vanishes and you are back to Full Screen. This is a wonderful idea. Especially with widescreen monitors where vertical space is often in short supply thanks to mindless web designers who insist on using enormous space wasting bars at the top. I've seen several pages where 30% is used up with nothing useful. Often its mostly empty space in those bars! And when you scroll down the page they stay there. Because they think we don't know how to get back to the top or navigate their website.

So I was wondering if anyone has found a way of getting rid of the Firefox Address Bar. I find the tab bar pretty useful when I'm juggling a bunch of stuff so that would be nice to have sometimes.
DanRaisch

Re: Is it possible to eliminate the Address Bar?

Post by DanRaisch »

If you use F11 to display Firefox in full screen mode the address bar is not visible until you move the cursor to the top of the screen.
jscher2000

Re: Is it possible to eliminate the Address Bar?

Post by jscher2000 »

I don't know if that is possible. A good site to find userChrome.css hacks is: https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/

----

In Full Screen, if you focus the address bar using Alt+d, Firefox will enter a sort of netherworld where toolbars are visible but exiting the toolbars doesn't return Firefox to full screen. Not sure if that is working as designed or is bugged.