Back arrow 'misinterprets' how far back!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ken15

Back arrow 'misinterprets' how far back!

Post by Ken15 »

I use my Mozilla browser, latest version, to visit a site like 'BBC News' or 'The Guardian'. Those sites have multiple items to click on. Sometimes I leave the main page to read one of the items, by clicking on the headline. After reading that item I click the back-arrow (top left hand corner of screen) to return to the main page. But sometimes the browser then takes me back not to the CURRENT main page but to the one I visited yesterday or anyway a few hours ago.

Any suggestions please?

- Ken
Grumpus

Re: Back arrow 'misinterprets' how far back!

Post by Grumpus »

It may seem too simple but try changing your mouse clicks.
If you opened a page from the history list which you've kept and not a bookmark it might load the older page when performing a back arrow.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Ken15

Post by Ken15 »

Thanks Grumpus. Although I seldom open a page from the history list, I shall certainly be careful in how many clicks (at one time) I give the back arrow.

- Ken15
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Suggestion - don't leave "the main page". Middle-click a link to have an article open in a new Tab; and when you're done reading that article simply close that Tab. That avoids a number of quirks with many websites; flaky "back" action, the propensity for opening a link in a new window, etc.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Ken15

Post by Ken15 »

My thanks to the-edmeister. Maybe I should get a new mouse? I'm not sure there's such a thing as a middle-click on mine. But I'll investigate this. It's nice to know that my experience of some sites is shared by others, that some of those sites are a bit flaky in their 'back' actions, etc.!

- Ken15
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Scroll-wheel is the middle mouse button, just press it down. Gotta be a reeeal cheap mouse to lack a scroll-wheel now-a-days.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can alternatively hold the Ctrl key and left-click to open a link in a new tab.

You can hold down the left mouse button on either back or forward until the tab history drop-down list opens to see what tab history items are present.
Such a history item can be opened in a new tab with a middle-click of the mouse wheel.
Ken15

Post by Ken15 »

That's an interesting one, dickvl. (Ctrl key + left-click.) Thank you. I've added it to my armory, so to speak.

- Ken15
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just one more idea here.... the scroll wheel in fact does what the-edmeister pointed out but/and I don't use it for opening a link in a new tab... I've scrolled too many times by accident...so, I just right-click on a link them left-click on 'open in new tab'. Just another way of doing it.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Ken15

Post by Ken15 »

Thanks dfoulkes (and cat). I'll try that too. Right-click on a link, you say, then left-click on 'open in new tab'. I'm memorising that as I type!

- Ken15
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

dfoulkes wrote:Just one more idea here.... the scroll wheel in fact does what the-edmeister pointed out but/and I don't use it for opening a link in a new tab... I've scrolled too many times by accident...so, I just right-click on a link them left-click on 'open in new tab'. Just another way of doing it.
Cheap-ass mouses (? meese ? mice) do that scroll action too easily and when a good mouse is wearing out & loses its detents the scroll function in Firefox kicks in for me. For years my right mouse button contacts would wear out before the left mouse button, but for the laat 10 years I am wearing out the middle-mouse button every year or two. I do use Ctrl + Click from the Bookmarks Sidebar routinely, but only because I use Ctrl + B to open the Sidebar, and just leave my little finger on the Ctrl key and them Click on the bookmark that I want to open.