User Help for Mozilla Firefox
manto

How to stop all push notifications

Post by manto »

I want to stop all push and web notifications. I have done the following:
  • dom.webnotifications.serviceworker.enabled is set to false
  • dom.webnotifications.enabled is set to false
  • dom.push.enabled is set to false
Yet I still get notification pop-ups. Here is an example site where I am seeing it:

Code: Select all

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/
Is there anything else I can do? TIA.

The browser I need help with is Firefox ESR 52.8.0 (64-bit), not the one listed at the bottom of this post.
Grumpus

Re: How to stop all push notifications

Post by Grumpus »

There's a number of "push" items in about:config where changing the setting may do the trick.
dom.push.connection.enabled and dom.push.enabled
There also appears to be a push server url -dom.push.serverURL which may have to be blanked.
Make sure you take notes, particularly with string values for replacement id reset doesn't work off the right click menu.

PS: Just noticed your version, if you searched for "push" and these weren't there sorry for any confusion.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
manto

Post by manto »

Don't worry, I searched for "push" in about:config and the settings you described are there.

I've now set dom.push.connection.enabled to false.

I had already set dom.push.enabled to false but I doubled checked and it still is.

And I've blanked dom.push.serverURL. Previously it was set to wss://push.services.mozilla.com/

I'm still getting push pop-ups. Very frustrating. Anything else I might be able to try?
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Are you saying that if you click to box 'Block' when you visit that site its not working... ? Seems to stop the pop-up but I do notice a small blue tab on left of page that will allow you to subscribe, or unblock the notifications. NO idea if you can hide that or not but at least its not a pop-up and I didn't have to tweak any prefs.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

In /tools/options/Privacy & Security there should be a "Block Pop ups as The Visitor mentioned but there may also be an exceptions button.
See if anything is listed in the exceptions which shouldn't be there.
- look at the popup settings in about:config :
privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins - make sure no caused by a plugin - Plugin Pop-ups
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
manto

Post by manto »

TheVisitor wrote:Are you saying that if you click to box 'Block' when you visit that site its not working... ? Seems to stop the pop-up but I do notice a small blue tab on left of page that will allow you to subscribe, or unblock the notifications. NO idea if you can hide that or not but at least its not a pop-up and I didn't have to tweak any prefs.
I have not clicked either "Block" or "Allow".

I hope I'm not misunderstanding the entire point of disabling push notifications, but I thought the purpose of making changes to the about:config setting was to automatically block all push notifications for all websites. If every website that has push notifications still shows me the pop-up asking me to "Block" or "Allow", then that is no different than requiring that I block push notifications for each website one by one.
Grumpus wrote:In /tools/options/Privacy & Security there should be a "Block Pop ups as The Visitor mentioned but there may also be an exceptions button.
See if anything is listed in the exceptions which shouldn't be there.
- look at the popup settings in about:config :
privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins - make sure no caused by a plugin - Plugin Pop-ups
It's in Tools/Options/Content for me, but yes, I do have "Block pop-up windows" checked. And there is nothing unexpected in the Exceptions.

I have privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins set to 2, which, according to the wiki, means all plugin initiated popups are blocked.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

manto wrote:Yet I still get notification pop-ups. Here is an example site where I am seeing it:

Code: Select all

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/
Is there anything else I can do? TIA.
I see one here if I let scripts from foxpush.net run: https://www.khaleejtimes.com/videos/nat ... in-sharjah

That's fake, it's not a Firefox panel. Zoom the page several times to confirm.

None of Firefox's settings can prevent fake push overlays. Perhaps you can use an ad blocker filter to hide them.
manto

Post by manto »

Wait, that's fake?!

...Gee, don't I feel stupid.

I guess this means I've already properly blocked all notifications, and that every site where I still see them is using fake overlays. Now I know to take a closer look at them and to use ad blocker filters.

Thanks again for all the help.