about:profiles > Restart normally issue

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
siffemoz

about:profiles > Restart normally issue

Post by siffemoz »

I run FF release and also Beta and Nightly simultaneously using -no-remote for the latter 2. Since the updates yesterday, when trying about:profiles > 'Restart normally' on Beta and Nightly, I'm getting 'Firefox is already running, but is not responding. The old Firefox process must be closed to open a new window.' Closing closes and restarts the original window, Cancel just kills the one I'm trying to restart. Why?
therube

Re: about:profiles > Restart normally issue

Post by therube »

I see the same.
Actually I'm not really sure just what I was seeing, & I've been meaning to check...
(In particular that I've been opening so many different browsers & versions of late, but there is definitely something odd, different going on.)

if you
firefox.exe -no-remote -profile PROFILE
> firefox opens
then if you run the same command again (FF still open)
> dialog, "Close Firefox: Firefox is already running [true], but is not responding [well not exactly, IMO]. The old Firefox process must be closed to open a new window." [Close Firefox, defaulted] [Cancel]

& what happens with Close, is just that.
existing instance of FF is closed & this newly -no-remoted instance is opened in its place.

I don't recall that behavior in the past.
Normally, what I'm thinking, is that you would get the "busy, not responding" message instead, with existing FF instance left unaffected.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

OK so the behavior is not new.
FF 52 does the very same thing.

Odd that I had never happened into this before - until just yesterday.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

So your situation sounds a bit different from what I described.

In my case, I was specifically opening, trying to open, a new -no-remote instance using a Profile that was already -no-remote'd.

In your case, you're starting out with 3 separate Profiles, correct?
Each opened simultaneously, which is fine, 1 regular, & 2 -no-remote, also fine.

You would expect an about:profiles -> Restart Normally, to close the existing, particular, instance & reopen it, in the same mode (so -no-remote), with the same Profile.

But what it appears, not totally sure, is that it is reopening, or perhaps it would attempt, to open not -no-remoted, & not with the particular Profile just closed?
Is that what is going on? If so, that behavior too might not be new, but it seems certainly wrong? Got to check more...
therube

Post by therube »

Correct.

if you
> firefox opens
about:profiles -> Restart Normally

Existing profile, PROFILE is closed.
FF reopens.
It is not -no-remote'd.
It does not reopen -profile PROFILE (but rather loads your "default profile", or brings up Profile Manger for you to pick a particular Profile, depending on your settings, but it does not reopen with the settings originally used, -profile PROFILE).

That seems to be a wrong, unexpected behavior.

Anyhow, you know what to do, avoid the Restart Normally button in about:profiles ;-).
therube

Post by therube »

about:profiles -> Restart with Add-ons Disabled..., is a little better, though still perhaps not "right".

That does open the same Profile, with "Addons" disabled, so that part is fine.
But that too looses its' -no-remote status.

So if you have...

regular instance of FF running
-no-remote instance of FF running
& you
about:profiles -> Restart with Add-ons Disabled... - in the -no-remote instance,
hmm, odd, that actually did work, opening the expected Profile, so still two separate instances,
but oddly (Process Hacker) no longer show the -no-remote switch being used - but it must be

regular instance of FF running
-no-remote instance of FF running
& you
about:profiles -> Restart Normally - in the -no-remote instance,
that too does not "fail"
I'm prompted to choose a Profile (from Profile Manager) & when I choose the already, still, opened instance of FF, I'm simply presented with the (expected) "Profile In Use" dialog.

I've done these tests with FF 61, opened regularly
& FF 52, opened -no-remoted.

I don't have Nightly, & gather that you following the same procedures are actually seeing different results?
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

Yeah, I think each time I try it I get a different result :-/ Thanks so much for testing! I was ready to use that somehow, as the restart button I had stopped working. But I found another way to produce the button; you already may have seen it at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 3&start=15 ('You could use the CustomizableUI.createWidget method to create a restart button' by morat, 4th post from the bottom).