Some Add-Ons don't appear on Address Bar with others?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FrankSMS

Some Add-Ons don't appear on Address Bar with others?

Post by FrankSMS »

I've had this happen often recently. I install an Add-On but don't see it in the Address Bar. I see it in the Add-Ons list. How do I use an Add-On when it hides itself? I have 3 Add-Ons on the Address Bar. Is it limited to 3? How nice of them to not tell me that if that is so. But that's impossible. Why oh why don't these mindless designers fix this issue? In the Add-On page there should be a simple option: ADD TO ADDRESS BAR
How can you possibly use something if its invisible?
Is that so difficult? Or could I be doing something that has limited the Add-On total to 3? That is absurd of course.
I do remember sometimes seeing an Add-On that shows itself when its integrated into something particular like YouTube. But for this one it didn't show.
It should be called "Great Add-On if you can find it!"
Brummelchen

Re: Some Add-Ons don't appear on Address Bar with others?

Post by Brummelchen »

check your overflow menu - firefox is moving automatically if width is small
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cu ... d-toolbars
therube

Post by therube »

Some, sometimes, only end up in the Customize (menu, area, whatever you want to call it), & you have to manually drag the icon out from there to where you want it.
(Don't ask me why that happens, but certainly is poor UX.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Yes, I checked the overflow and Customize areas. Not there. I would have thought that in the list of Add-Ons there would be an option to drag it anywhere you want. Obviously that idea was way too logical. Silly me. I realize now that some add-ons are website specific, like YouTube so they only appear when you have that website up. And only when the option could be used. I was trying to use a YouTube downloader. So when I'm on the YouTube homepage I won't see it. It will only appear when I'm on a particular video's page. Some people think of extensions as independent programs but they often can't work without the browser and what they're interacting with in play at the same time. Hope that helps others.
morat

Post by morat »

A page action extension is displayed inside the address bar. (hidden by default)

A browser action extension is displayed in the toolbar.

Page actions
http://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add- ... ge_actions
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Now that makes sense! Thanks!