Trying to find a backup addon for Fx Quantum

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Oma1942

Trying to find a backup addon for Fx Quantum

Post by Oma1942 »

There used to be Febe to backup Fx but now that I am using Quantum I cannot find the same or a similar extension in the get extensions addon maze. Would someone please help me to find it or if Febe doesn't work anymore would like to know if there is another extension to backup Fx?
Brummelchen

Re: Trying to find a backup addon for Fx Quantum

Post by Brummelchen »

There is none becAuse not allowed. Save profile folder instead.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

Brummelchen wrote:There is none becAuse not allowed. Save profile folder instead.
Thanks B. Not allowed? That is a certainly a regression! I already do save the profile folder though since installing Quantum from scratch just about a week ago but thought that the lazy way of doing a backup (by just clicking a button to do a backup) is certainly easier.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Extension are limited to its storage and/or manual interaction. Nevertheless its recommended to backup when firefox is closed. Use task and backup program on windows start if you can. Many ways to rome.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
costark

Post by costark »

https://www.hekasoft.com/hekasoft-backup-restore/

This appeared in the early Quantum days. Won't appear in Extension List, it's an App, BUT isn't this a new Febe?
I actually make and Save a few Profiles in a Folder but have made Backups with this App - never tried to Recover with it.

A typical Bkup File is about 72 MB while the Profile is 111 MB for That date. Not sure of the difference BUT it shows you can make Custom Bkup designs. Too lazy to test it for a closer File size.

Author did respond to question email when it first came out. Wish someone would do an install & recovery and post results.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

costark wrote:https://www.hekasoft.com/hekasoft-backup-restore/

This appeared in the early Quantum days. Won't appear in Extension List, it's an App, BUT isn't this a new Febe?
I actually make and Save a few Profiles in a Folder but have made Backups with this App - never tried to Recover with it.

A typical Bkup File is about 72 MB while the Profile is 111 MB for That date. Not sure of the difference BUT it shows you can make Custom Bkup designs. Too lazy to test it for a closer File size.

Author did respond to question email when it first came out. Wish someone would do an install & recovery and post results.
You're recommending it without having used it completely yourself?
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Simple enough to just manually backup the entire profile by copying everything from C:\Users\WINUSERID\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles including all sub-folders. If space is an issue you could use a ZIP program to compress the data in the backup location.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

You need a backup program to do what is done by simply making a copy of the profile (with FF not running).

You have to be kidding!

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I don't know about simple scripting in WIN; but, on Mac there is a trivial way of doing what you want. Here is the code for a simple desktop script

Code: Select all

tell application "Finder"

set TheDiskName to path to startup disk as text

duplicate folder (TheDiskName & "Users:<useracct>:Library:Application Support:Firefox:Profiles:<random>.default") to (TheDiskName & "Users:<useracct>:Desktop:") replacing yes

end tell
This will backup the default FF profile to the Desktop (of course that location can be anywhere on the disk). Maybe some WIN person could translate; there must be some equivalent simple scripting on WIN :?: . Also note on Mac Apple Script path names use ":" rather than "/" since Apple Script preceded Apples move to UNIX and Apple Script kept the same SW interpreter.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Mcd73165

Post by Mcd73165 »

I have always used a program called BackupFox. You can find it here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Brow ... pFox.shtml
It is not an addon but works perfectly for me.