Unable to add Bookmarks to tiered bookmark indices

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
uv85ggk

Unable to add Bookmarks to tiered bookmark indices

Post by uv85ggk »

I have a complex tiered system of booksmarks. Up to 5 levels deep. I used to be able to "Bookmark this page" and a menu would appear and I would see a menu with "Other Bookmarks" and a drop-down arrow. When I click on the drop-down menu, one Option is "Choose". But when I click on "Choose", all I see is "Other Bookmarks", whereas previously I saw the complex tree structure and I could choose the menu directory I was seeking. Now I see only "Other Bookmarks". In other words the ONLY place I can save a new Bookmark is to "Other Bookmarks", a location to which I have saved 0 Bookmarks. I tried saving the new Bookmark to "Other Bookmarks" and then later moving it to the directory I wanted it to reside in. I added a so-called Bookmark Manager Add-on, but this also fails to see my Bookmark tree structure and I cannot move/edit my Bookmarks using it. I went into Troubleshooting, but nothing I tried there worked either.

I assume that in one of the too-many updates Mozilla changed something that messed me up. To elaborate, all my Bookmarks are present in my tree structure. I just cannot add or edit any Bookmark directories below the (useless) "Other Bookmarks" level and I want to do so. There are 27 Bookmark directories under "Other Bookmarks", then many of these lead to other lists of Bookmark directories, etc.
the-edmeister

Re: Unable to add Bookmarks to tiered bookmark indices

Post by the-edmeister »

Try this as an alternative to using "Bookmark this page".

1. Open the Bookmarks Sidebar using {Ctrl + B} (Windows and Linux - Command on Mac) and locate the folder where you want to new bookmark to be placed.
2. Then drag the URL from the URL bar, or the Tab, into the correct location in the Bookmarks Sidebar.
2. Voila, new bookmark saved where you want it.

The other alternate is to use the an extension that provides a larger window from which to select which folder you want with your bookmarks structuring going 5 folder deep.I am not aware of a WebExtension that meets that criteria; we have had that with Legacy extensions - Bookmark Here 2 - which hasn't been updated to WE level, yet - if it is even possible.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.