Stream vs download

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
angbob

Stream vs download

Post by angbob »

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Firefox 61.0.1 64-bit

On https://www.silverfast.com/mov/en.html there are several links, two of which have these values:

https://www.silverfast.com/download/mov ... -03-13.mov

https://www.silverfast.com/download/mov ... -08-22.mp4

The web site's owner tells me that clicking on these links will start a download, but instead, clicking starts streaming.
(Except that in Vivaldi, clicking on the ".mov" link does display a download dialog box, perhaps because that link's file size is a large 167 MB, and Vivaldi is afraid to stream it.)

Is there a setting that will cause clicks on those links to download, instead of stream?
Benjamin Markson

Re: Stream vs download

Post by Benjamin Markson »

angbob wrote:Is there a setting that will cause clicks on those links to download, instead of stream?
...right-click, Save Link As, works for me. I think that ignores any other mechanics.

Ben.
XUL is dead. Long live the Google Chrome Clones.
angbob

Post by angbob »

Benjamin Markson wrote: ...right-click, Save Link As, works for me. I think that ignores any other mechanics.
Thanks. That's what I do.

But I'm wondering whether the discrepancy between what I see and what the web site's owner claims suggests a real issue.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

The files just start playing using the built-in HTML5 player. If you go into about:config and set media.mp4.enabled to false then it will save the file when you click on it. Looks like this also affects the .MOV file.
angbob

Post by angbob »

In Firefox safe mode (no add-ons).

With media.mp4.enabled false, clicking on the "mov" file's link on the web page brings up a download dialog box.
Clicking on the "mp4" file's link on the web site starts streaming.
But clicking on the link in my post here brings up a download dialog box.
The click behavior here differs from behavior on the web site.

On the web site, opening the "mp4" link in a new tab, a new window, or a new private window brings up a download dialog box.
Copying the link's value, and pasting into a new tab brings up a download dialog box.

So clicking on the link in the web site's page starts streaming. Everything else brings up a download dialog.

It appears the web site is jiggering something. Deutsche Telekom hosts the site.
therube

Post by therube »

Perhaps the (webpage, DT) link mime-type is playing in to what you are seeing?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
angbob

Post by angbob »

I'm slowly understanding...
When I click the link labeled "download" on the web site page, the client/server act, and things happen beyond opening the specified file.

The "src" for the MP4 file is in a 684-character cryptic line, which exceeds my ability to understand.

Firefox, Vivaldi, Chrome, and Internet Explorer won't download when I click the web page's link labeled "download", but that is not our problem.

Thanks hugely for all the help! I really appreciate it.