Ubuntu - all add-ons- disabled!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GudgeonPin

Ubuntu - all add-ons- disabled!

Post by GudgeonPin »

Ubuntu 16.04, FFx 61.0.1

Just did an upgrade to Ubuntu and can no longer see any of my installed Add-on icons.

The add-ons all appear to be enabled as they show "Disable" for the button.

I tried disabling them all, then reset "Customize" and enabled them all again. Still no icons and no options I can find to add them back to the top bar where they have been for the past fifteen years.

is this "progress," or did I miss a memo somewhere? :)

What do I need to do to reinstate FFx the way I want it?

It's back to Palemoon until I can figure this out.
Cary G.
elist74

Re: Ubuntu - all add-ons- disabled!

Post by elist74 »

Did you use the "real" firefox or the "linux version".

Me, i start having trouble with the "distributed" firefox (xubuntu)
(the trouble was; when i mouse over a linked pictures, the pics bacame blury)

I download the "Real" firefox and the trouble went away.
therube

Post by therube »

Do any of the icons show up in Customize?

Why would an OS upgrade affect your browser?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
GudgeonPin

Post by GudgeonPin »

elist74 wrote:Did you use the "real" firefox or the "linux version".
I download the "Real" firefox and the trouble went away.
Thanks for the reply, I use the repository with "sudo apt install firefox" and assumed that was the real version.

Where would I get the real version you are referring to?
Cary G.
GudgeonPin

Post by GudgeonPin »

therube wrote:Do any of the icons show up in Customize?
Thanks for the reply, but nope, they have not shown up in there since about v58, or whenever the newer add-on method came in.
therube wrote:Why would an OS upgrade affect your browser?
No offense, but it looks like you do not understand how Linux et al works. There are two levels "Update" and "Upgrade." And, to wildly over-simplify, Update is a security/bug-fix kinda thing and does not change existing programs unless they need it for security or bugs.

Upgrade, upgrades the OS **and** all installed programs to their latest incarnations. If I never did an Upgrade I'd still be using FFx 12. :)
Cary G.
elist74

Post by elist74 »

Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

If I understand you upgraded the Ubuntu operating system to 16.04.
Doing this would normally update all the packages which require upgrade or update to the newer OS version during the upgrade process.
In most cases it would be package upgrades so the repositories can pick up on the correct version information for any updates from the repositories.
Using sudo apt install firefox would get the proper packages from the proper repositories.

What was the version of Firefox you were using before the upgrade, newer versions are not supporting some plugins and extensions.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
GudgeonPin

Post by GudgeonPin »

Grumpus wrote:If I understand you upgraded the Ubuntu operating system to 16.04.
What was the version of Firefox you were using before the upgrade
No Idea on the previous version of FFx, but it would have been the one **immediately** preceding version 61.0.1 or 61.0.2. It is a t 61.0.2 now.

{grin} Obviously a windows-man. Nope, Linux Upgrade does **not** upgrade to a newer Major version, it upgrades everything installed to the current version of this current Major release.

As mentioned above.
"Update" updates and programs that need security or bug fixes within the current Major incarnation (16.04).
...For instance, if I had been using FFx 57, an "Update" would only update bug/security issues and keep me at v57.

"Upgrade" upgrades all programs (including FFx), Linux Kernel, Libraries etc to their latest incarnations within the current Major incarnation (16.04).

There is an option to upgrade to the next major version but that is normally set at "Never," for all of our PCs. No stinking windows here. :)
Cary G.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

GudgeonPin wrote:Ubuntu 16.04, FFx 61.0.1
Just did an upgrade to Ubuntu and can no longer see any of my installed Add-on icons.
As you did perform an upgrade and all packages were updated to the current version you must have upgraded from an earlier Ubuntu?

GudgeonPin wrote:The add-ons all appear to be enabled as they show "Disable" for the button.
Without knowing specifically which version of Firefox you were using it makes it hard to know what does and does not work.
Did you go into add-ons and try an install of the non-functioning add-ons?
GudgeonPin wrote:I tried disabling them all, then reset "Customize" and enabled them all again.
Still no icons and no options I can find to add them back to the top bar where they have been for the past fifteen years.
It's likely, considering the 15 years comment, without trying to re-install them the icons and add-ons might not be available if they do not show in the Customize/tab or window.

Personal note; Using Ubuntu since Hoary Hedgehog it seems to me most of the package updates do leave some settings alone while others wipe the slate. Firefox has been one which didn't have these slate wiping difficulties so it may be something else or the extensions are just not supported in the newer version. I find it unlikely the previous version was the most immediate preceding. No offense .
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you