MozillaZine

Hi-Def video issue with older laptop

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

Post Posted August 14th, 2018, 7:53 am

I've been dealing with this issue for some time now and finally got off of my butt and decided to lean on my fellow Moz experts.

This ACER laptop is pretty old and is kind of a low end one (not when it was new though)...and being a laptop not much upgrading can be done. The main problem is say... when I go to a YouTube (or other sites) vid it starts out just fine but in about 2-3 seconds the speed/def goes from what I would guess as being normal to HD and then it will run for about 5 seconds and then start freezing up (the vid) but the audio still continues. then I have to stop it and change the vid-option to say 480p and then continue. Pretty much happens all the time...get'n tired of it. Plus, if I run it in portable Chrome... no problems, IE no problems. I've also tested this problem out in safe-mode, a new blank test profile and with the latest 'out of the box' Firefox (portable) and it still happens.

This one just triggered this post. I also went directily to utube and bypassed Wimp ... had the same problem. I've also checked out for driver updates and did not find any that might be associated.

https://www.wimp.com/earthquake-proof-t ... n-contest/
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!

therube

Post Posted August 15th, 2018, 5:07 am

So triangles win.
Though that one with squares & the center column was an interesting concept.

I'm sure it was a good learning experience.
(One year, my brothers class built concrete canoes.)

Video, hmm... (I'm just going to go with the easy way, out... in your case, use Chrome for YT.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

elist74

Post Posted August 15th, 2018, 6:13 am

Is it because firefox using the ram? (a suggestion) :)

Brummelchen

Post Posted August 15th, 2018, 9:00 am

Yt or firefox is measuring throughput... And lowering resolution
users using outdated and vulnerable software probably never will get an answer from me - sticked with the past? stay alone.

dfoulkes

Post Posted August 19th, 2018, 8:30 am

therube wrote:So triangles win.
Though that one with squares & the center column was an interesting concept.

I'm sure it was a good learning experience.
(One year, my brothers class built concrete canoes.)

I would think that one needs to look at a tall building and if it's made of toothpicks one does not enter the door :lol: ... that's about all that I know about structural design.

dfoulkes

Post Posted August 19th, 2018, 8:38 am

Brummelchen wrote:Yt or firefox is measuring throughput... And lowering resolution

Actually it looks like one of those is actually increasing resolution. When a vid starts it plays fine and then I see where the resolution changes from what I would call normal to HD. I see that on the bottom right side (in that setting wheel) of a vid while it's playing... The vids starts up OK and in about 5 seconds the HD pops up above the wheel and then a short time after that happens the vid starts freezing and may start again and then freeze. During that on/off time the audio keeps playing so now things are out of sinc.

It's like the source of the vid (not always utube) looks at my setup or board or ?? and figures that my PC can handle a higher res setting so it changes to HD but since things start going bad when that happens the vid-sourse made a wrong assumption.

EDIT
Here is an interesting test that I just did... I started this vid in normal screen size and played it to about 3/4 completion and no HD change... so, then I did a CRTL+F5 and started the vid up and immediately clicked on the full-screen button (Lower RH side) and at about the 8 second point of playing the HD appeared and after a little while the same problems appeared.
https://www.teachengineering.org/activi ... _activity1

Also note... do not go into a building where its foundation is made of Jello! :lol:

Return to Firefox Support