Bring back Star button that opens the Library

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pschroeter

Bring back Star button that opens the Library

Post by pschroeter »

How can I create a button that directly opens the bookmarks Library in Firefox Quantum? I want a button that executes the command “Show All Bookmarks” and equivalent to “Control+Shift+B.”

I hate digging for the command in the dropdown in the combined commands button (star in a tray) that is available and the closest I can get. I tried to adjust, but I’m fighting over ten years of muscle memory that I’ve acquired since about Firefox 2 and constantly wish I had the star button back.
Gingerbread Man

Re: Bring back Star button that opens the Library

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Option 1
  1. Click the Menu Button and choose Options.
  2. Click the Home category on the left.
  3. Next to "Homepage and new windows" choose "Custom URLs…" then enter the following:

Code: Select all

chrome://browser/content/places/places.xul
  4. Click the Menu Button and choose Customize.
  5. If the Home button isn't already on the navigation toolbar, drag it there from the palette. Click the Done button when finished.
  6. Click the Home button to open the Library in the current tab, middle-click or Ctrl+click it for a new tab, or Shift+click it for a new window.
Option 2
  1. Copy the following to the clipboard, then right-click the address bar and choose "Paste and Go":

2. Click the star icon on the right side of the address bar, then place the new bookmark in the Bookmarks Toolbar folder.
  3. Click the new bookmark on the Bookmarks Toolbar to open the Library in the current tab, middle-click or Ctrl+click it for a new tab, or Shift+click it for a new window.
  4. If you don't normally use the Bookmarks Toolbar and it's otherwise empty, you can additionally click the Menu Button and choose Customize. Then drag "Bookmarks Toolbar Items" onto either the navigation toolbar or the tab bar.
Option 3
Create an add-on that does this, because as far as I can tell, one doesn't already exist.
https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Mozi ... bExtension
pschroeter

Re: Bring back Star button that opens the Library

Post by pschroeter »

Option 2
  1. Copy the following to the clipboard, then right-click the address bar and choose "Paste and Go":

2. Click the star icon on the right side of the address bar, then place the new bookmark in the Bookmarks Toolbar folder.
  3. Click the new bookmark on the Bookmarks Toolbar to open the Library in the current tab, middle-click or Ctrl+click it for a new tab, or Shift+click it for a new window.
  4. If you don't normally use the Bookmarks Toolbar and it's otherwise empty, you can additionally click the Menu Button and choose Customize. Then drag "Bookmarks Toolbar Items" onto either the navigation toolbar or the tab bar.
I thank you profusely, that does most of what I want it to do. I can even overlook the fact that it creates a button with the little globe instead of a star. I'm slightly annoyed I have to Shift-click for a new window, but that's Firefoxes fault.

As to suggestion 3, I looked and looked for a way to create a button that sends keyboard commands (in this case Ctrl+Shift+B) to Firefox, either through some sort of bookmark code or an addon, or magic.