Stop Firefox from switching to new tab

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
perfect777

Stop Firefox from switching to new tab

Post by perfect777 »

I just installed FF 61.0.2 (64bit). I'm having a weird issue that I can't seem to resolve.

Every time I click on a link, search, choose a bookmark, etc - a new tab is opened (which is what I want), but my Firefox immediately switches to this new (which I don't want). I want the tab to load in the background...

How do I do this?

Things I've tried:

Refreshed Firefox
Removed userchrome.css
Disabled all add-ons
General > Tabs > unchecked "When you open a link in a tab, switch to it immediately"

Another thing that I want to fix is that I like my tabs to switch if I hover over them long enough. I used to be able to do this with TabMixPlus, but I don't see this option currently. Now, I have to click each tab... I just want to hover over them.

Thanks!
Brummelchen

Re: Stop Firefox from switching to new tab

Post by Brummelchen »

load BM in tab
"browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInTabs", "true"

load tabs in foreground -> about:preferences -> general -> load tabs in foreground -> untick

simple as that.
perfect777

Post by perfect777 »

Brummelchen - the "load tabs in foreground" option does not appear for me in the General preferences section.

Thanks for the assistance.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

it is there, have a closer look (new profile here)

if it is not there, try a new profile.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

You could experiment with all three preferences:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful or accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste inback and pause while the list is filtered

(in reverse alpha order)
  • browser.tabs.loadInBackground - links you Ctrl+click or middle-click
  • browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground - links Firefox diverted from a new window to a new tab instead
  • browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground - for bookmarks you direct to a new tab