Prevent opening of blank tab?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Flycaster

Prevent opening of blank tab?

Post by Flycaster »

With Quantum I am noticing (and very much annoyed by) that when certain sites or links are opened, I will also get an unwanted totally blank site (about:blank) that will open to the right of the selected site/link site. I then have to delete the blank site...a PITA. So, how do I prevent this PITA from occurring?

BTW, would this be the solution: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1190923
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
RobertJ

Re: Prevent opening of blank tab?

Post by RobertJ »

Have never seen that. Example url/link?

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

RobertJ wrote:.
Have never seen that. Example url/link?

Will do the next time it occurs
therube

Post by therube »

On particular Profiles - where I expect stuff like that, I blank out the values of the Pref, dom.popup_allowed_events.

Doing so does what it says.
And by doing so, it may also then block wanted "openings".
Though usually you'll get a message bar stating that xyz was blocked, with an option to open it.

(In my case, it would not be a blank page that I would see, rather some sort of what would otherwise be, spam/ad popup, popunder... kind of thing.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Flycaster

A good example of About:Blank and New Tab.

Post by Flycaster »

OK, got a great example :

1. Click on this site: http://www.thebatteryandscooterstore.co ... 17015.aspx

2. Click on the 2 batteries within the caret. This site comes up http://www.thebatteryandscooterstore.co ... -417_2.jpg and the Tab for the site is titled "Popup Window."

3. Close the Popup Window and now click on any one of the 3 pairs of batteries below the pair within the caret. This time a blank New Tab site open to the right whose URL is About:Blank.

4. Lastly, close the New Tab and now click on "view larger image" (just below the battery pair in #3). This time a blank New Tab is to the right of the parent and also to its right and tabbed Popup Window, is the site from #2.
therube

Post by therube »

Oh, that's different. My suggestion above is not going to be what you need.

SeaMonkey 2.49.5 works fine.
There are 3 images. Each opens in a new tab (or window, depending on settings) as expected.

FF 61 gives me a warning, "... prevented this site from opening a pop-up window".
Options -> allow popups from thebatteryandscooterstore

With that done, FF 61 then works as expected.

Test in Safe Mode.
If that still doesn't work, then test in a new, clean Profile.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RobertJ

Re: A good example of About:Blank and New Tab.

Post by RobertJ »

Flycaster wrote:OK, got a great example :

1. Click on this site: http://www.thebatteryandscooterstore.co ... 17015.aspx

2. Click on the 2 batteries within the caret. This site comes up http://www.thebatteryandscooterstore.co ... -417_2.jpg and the Tab for the site is titled "Popup Window."
This pops up in a new window, not a tab.
Flycaster wrote:3. Close the Popup Window and now click on any one of the 3 pairs of batteries below the pair within the caret. This time a blank New Tab site open to the right whose URL is About:Blank.
Clicking on the 3 pairs does nothing.
Flycaster wrote:4. Lastly, close the New Tab and now click on "view larger image" (just below the battery pair in #3). This time a blank New Tab is to the right of the parent and also to its right and tabbed Popup Window, is the site from #2.
Not for me. Just shows a new pop-up window with a larger image.

Seems to be doing what I would expect.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

My conclusion is that something is wrong with the the images on the site. The first one works, but the one with the 3 batteries do not work.

I disabled UBlock Origin and Privacy Badger, tried Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome and Tor Browser and get the same results.