UTC vs normal time (my time is shifted by 2 hours)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ruckb

UTC vs normal time (my time is shifted by 2 hours)

Post by ruckb »

Hello,
in web applications (web.skype or mail web clients) my time is off by 2 hours.
I have found already, that a setting of privacy.fingerprint= true would forward UTC time to any web application.
But this is not set in my case.
is there any other setting that could cause such a time shift ?
(let's see the time stemp for this post. . currently it is 12:22)...

Hermann
ruckb

Re: UTC vs normal time (my time is shifted by 2 hours)

Post by ruckb »

BTW, just tried save mode .. no change.
uninstall and fresh install .. no change (but somehow firefox realized it was already installed and imported some stuff ...

Any other idea?

Hermann
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

If you can set your locale (country, timezone) on your system that should help.
In Linux you have to do this by setting Regdomain.
As you are on Windows you would need to see how to set the locale for your system globally for your system.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
ruckb

Post by ruckb »

thanks for the feedback.
Windows does have the correct setting. There is no change in behvior if I use ntp time syncronization via internet in windows or manually set a fixed time.
i always get 2 hours difference in thunderbird time vs. Windows time.

Hermann
elist74

Post by elist74 »

maybe the "Current time zone" in the setting on the WEB Page. If you using hotmail outlook, or any microsoft mail and maybe the skype web page.
Me I using Outlook (WEB) and i can change the timezone (go to option (the gear and i type "time" and i choose "Language and region" ) .
elist74

Post by elist74 »

ruckb wrote:Hello,
in web applications (web.skype or mail web clients) my time is off by 2 hours.
I have found already, that a setting of privacy.fingerprint= true would forward UTC time to any web application.
But this is not set in my case.
is there any other setting that could cause such a time shift ?
(let's see the time stemp for this post. . currently it is 12:22)...

Hermann
This site http://forums.mozillazine.org is using a time zone in setting at "User Control Panel" maybe the zone is / was not choose. :)
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

I suspect you live in the Western Europe Time Zone (?), i.e. your current time is UTC + 2.

You said you checked your settings in Windows' Regional Settings. Did you check that both the time and time zone are ok?

My system is in French and I use Windows 10, so you will have to use a bit of your imagination to see exactly which control panel to check.
In the Control Panel, check either for "Regional Settings" or "Region", or "Date and Time".

In the Date and Time tab, check to make sure that you have the proper time and the proper time zone. If you don't have the proper time zone...
– First close all programs, otherwise your new settings may not apply correctly.
Make sure, for instance that you quit applications that run in the background like Skype.
– Click on the button "Change Time Zone"
– Select the proper time zone, but also a suitable city, which affects the moment summer time applies.
In your case, it's probably UTC + 1 (Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome...) that you'll have to select
– Also check "Adjust the clock for the summer time zone.
– Click OK.

Once you have done this, if the time on the clock has changed, adjust the time (not the time zone).

WARNING
If you have set events in your Windows calendars, they will be off by 2 hours because time is always recorded as UTC time and converted on display.

If you can't find any issues there and still see problems with web apps, web mail, etc., double-check by accessing these pages with Internet Explorer. I'm pretty sure you'll have exactly the same problem, but if you don't, that would give us any indication to further investigate the issue.

OTHER TIDBITS OF INFORMATION
[*] The timestamp for your top post is seen here as "06:22", which is probably correct. I live in the Eastern time zone (North America), which, in summer, is UTC-4. Which fits "12:22" at UTC+2.
[*] By itself, Firefox doesn't have any notion of time. So there is no time zone information to check, no wrong time zone information in Firefox.
[*] Thunderbird uses the system time zone information to display when a message is sent, was received, etc. However, its calendar module, Lightning, uses its own time zone configuration.
[*] A few web applications or websites don't use your Windows time zone setting, but defaults using something different. Gmail (100% sure) and Outlook (I think) use your system's time zone, but I had a private web provider who used the server's location (in California, 3 hours off) to timestamp its mail.
Although much less frequent nowadays, I have seen a few applications who set the time according to your language (i.e. if you set language as English, you're in the Eastern time zone (UTC-5/4), if you set language as French, you're in the Western European time zone (UTC+1/2).
In other words, if you have time issues only with 1 or 2 web apps or web sites, look at their settings.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
ruckb

Post by ruckb »

Hello, thanks for the replies.

I tried webSkype in Chrome: evrything is working well.
I tried webSkype in iExplorer: everything is working well.
I checkec my time zone settings in Windows: erything looks good.
I'm located in Germany, so as you assumed my timezone is Berlin (UTC + 1). in combination with summertime this seems to result in an actual time of UTC + 2hours

What I had never checked before: also my Thunderbird has wrong times I sent an e-mail to two accounts:
- on my PC with the issue: sent and received date/time is UTC + 0
- on a seoncd PC received Time is UTC .. looking to the Header of the e-mail it says "Mon, 3 Sep 2018 07:52:27 +0000 "
Sending an e-mail back from the the healty PC the header states: "Mon, 3 Sep 2018 09:57:24 +0200"

Times in lightning calendar are correct!!!!

Googlemail in Crome is correct, googlemail in Firefox is wrong time.

I changed my preferences for this forum now to UTC +1 (current time is 10:00)
the webmail client I'm using is from a medium size company. Their IT department stated there is no setting where I could change the Time on my end and they checked their server settings where everything seems OK (I'm anyhow the only one with this strange behavior).

In web skype there is no setting for times (i had a 2 hour discussion with skpe support).
desktop skpye is off by 1 hour .. and I also could not figure out why..

Thanks for any help.

Hermann

P.S. Time stemp for editing the message belwo is correct (with corrected time stemp settings in the forum settings)
Last edited by ruckb on September 3rd, 2018, 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
ruckb

Post by ruckb »

Just one correction: on the mail webclient there is a setting for the time zone, but this is set correct to "GMT + 1".
any more ideas wher I could find my missing two hours ?
ruckb

Post by ruckb »

any other idea ?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

With Skype, could it depend on the person's location on the other end?
You might check longitude/latitude on the sites where this occurs.
Could any of the programs you use affect your bios settings, thought is something is corrupted and not reading the bios or system time correctly.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you