Can I have "Most Recent" tab switching without the previews?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
antic

Can I have "Most Recent" tab switching without the previews?

Post by antic »

Apparently one can turn off the CTRL-TAB thumbnail previews, using this config option: browser.ctrlTab.previews = false.

However, when I do that, it also disables the option for cycling through tabs in recent order. Literally as soon as I set browser.ctrlTab.previews to false, then look under Options -> General -> Tabs, the "cycles through tabs in recently used order" becomes un-ticked. It is as if that one config setting is used by both of those different options (I see them as distinctly different anyway).

Is there any way to control those two things separately? I really want MRU tabbing, but don't want the previews popping up. I find them extremely distracting.. any pop-up stuff should really be explicitly optional for easily-distracted people like me. :)

Hope there's a solution. Thanks!
Kevin McFarlane

Re: Can I have "Most Recent" tab switching without the previ

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

antic wrote: Is there any way to control those two things separately? I really want MRU tabbing, but don't want the previews popping up. I find them extremely distracting.. any pop-up stuff should really be explicitly optional for easily-distracted people like me. :)

Hope there's a solution. Thanks!
I agree - all this stuff should be fully customisable. Personally I don't mind the popups if they're implemented well (for me). I liked how the old Tab Mix Plus did it when customised for popup and displaying the tab titles vertically (similar to, say, Notepad++ on Windows). The Firefox default is poorly implemented in that it only cycles through the tabs on display (and the horizontal display is dreadful as well). When you get to a certain number you can then click on the "List all N tabs." But before that you can have more than six tabs open but it will only ctrl+tab through those six.

But I actually like the way Opera does its MRU right now, although I don't think you can disable its popup (or I haven't figured it out). But showing the contents of the tab makes it easy to select the one you want to switch to. Even with TMP's implementation I would sometimes be unsure.
therube

Post by therube »

Apparently one can turn off the CTRL-TAB thumbnail previews, using this config option: browser.ctrlTab.previews = false.
Or not.
Seems that Pref is in fact your "MRU", no?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
antic

Post by antic »

therube wrote:
Or not.
Seems that Pref is in fact your "MRU", no?
It does seem that way, unfortunately. :( I was hoping an addon might fix that, but haven't been able to find one.
therube

Post by therube »

If you set the correct Pref, you might end up with what you want.
See what, browser.taskbar.previews.enable, does?
Or is that something different again? (I don't get "popups" or otherwise from my Windows taskbar.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript