MozillaZine

How to click a linked phone number & go to Google Hangouts?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FrankSMS

Post Posted August 30th, 2018, 7:38 am

This is probably impossible but as it would be soooo useful I just have to ask.
You're on a website and you need to call the number displayed. When you hover your mouse over the number to copy and paste it into your dialer you notice it hyperlinks. For most people without a VOIP softphone installed it will probably open Skype, but Skype has no free calling to phones like Hangouts does so that's rather pointless for about 99% of the population. What would be good is to have that link open or go to the Google Chrome browser (as Hangouts doesn't work in recent versions of Firefox) and paste that number into the dialing field. THAT would be sweet. That would be utterly awesome. Now is there any way of making that happen or just even clicking the number and have it go to the Chrome browser after copying the number? Because once you're on the Chrome browser (which you could leave open at Hangouts) its pretty fast to paste the number into the dialing field.

Any ideas?

therube

Post Posted August 30th, 2018, 6:18 pm

I don't know hangouts or skype or voip or chrome, but...

I use a bookmarklet, where I select some text on a webpage, & that text is sent to an external program (Everything, that performs a file name search on said text).
Everything has the option to set itself up a "URL protocol" that facilitates this.
So I would think you should be able to select a "phone number", click a bookmarklet, & that bookmarklet opens Chrome ... ?

Code: Select all
javascript:Qr=document.getSelection();if(!Qr){void(Qr=prompt('Registry%20entry%20to%20find:',''))}if(Qr)location.href='es:'+(Qr);void(0)

(Heh. Looking at that, I must have "jury rigged" an existing bookmarklet. es: [Everything Search, if you will] is set up a a "protocol handler" in the Windows Registry.)

Code: Select all
ES   Enabled   Executable   URL:Everything Search Protocol   "C:\Locate\Everything.exe" -url "%1"   Everything      02/21/2018 02:20:35 PM   

Nirsoft: URLProtocolView - View/Enable/Disable URL protocols
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

FrankSMS

Post Posted August 31st, 2018, 1:26 pm

Looks way over my head but I'll try as I use Everything quite often. I use it for everything but often find nothing. Now I'm sounding like Seinfeld - only not funny.

therube

Post Posted September 1st, 2018, 7:20 am

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Return to Firefox Support