MozillaZine

Tabs on Bottom in Quantum 60.2.0esr (32-bit)?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Clueless in Seattle

Post Posted September 6th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Yesterday I updated from Firefox ESR 52.2.0 (32-bit) to Firefox to Quantum 60.2.0esr (32-bit) and ended up losing many if not all of my most important settings.

Just now I tried to restore Tabs on the bottom by following instructions I found at:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1202283

I created a Chrome folder in my Firefox profile folder and then downloaded into it a file named:

userChrome-tabs_on_bottom.css

But when I exited and then restarted Quantum, the tabs were still stuck at the top position.

I'd be grateful to anyone who could help me get the tabs back down where they used to be
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

cmos

Post Posted September 6th, 2018, 2:48 pm

File name needs to be userChrome.css.

the-edmeister

Post Posted September 6th, 2018, 3:55 pm

cmos wrote:File name needs to be userChrome.css.

OR the userChrome.css file needs to have an @ import line such as this @import url("userChrome-tabs_on_bottom.css"), along with the userChrome-tabs_on_bottom.css folder sitting at the same folder level in the chrome folder as the userChrome.css file.

IMO< the advantage of using separate @ import files comes with having a smaller userChrome.css file (far fewer lines of code), which can be helpful to allow the user to disable / comment out the @import file should the user have problems with their userChrome code; far easier to disable one line of code to troubleshoot issues than to have to comment out multiple lines of code when trying to sort out issues.
Also makes it easier to add new code via separate .css files as the user works on building their custom userChrome.css package. I consider the separate @import .css files as "modules" of code.

I am currently using 6 @import files along with just a few lines of "stray" userChrome code below the @import lines and above the @namespace url - "gatekeeper" line with my Quantum installation / Profile.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Clueless in Seattle

Post Posted September 7th, 2018, 10:59 am

Thanks guys! Your posts prompted me to go back and reread the instructions I thought I had followed and I discovered much to my chagrin that I had failed to follow the final step: "(C) Rename that file to just userChrome.css." Duh! How embarrassing.

You know what they say: "There's no fool like an old fool!"

As soon as I renamed the file and restarted Firefox the Tab bar moved down to where I prefer it: below all the other toolbars. So we can mark this problem as solved and move on to trying to recover the next item on my list of settings lost to the most recent Firefox update.

Thanks for being so patient with this old fool.
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Return to Firefox Support