Update 62.0 buggy

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: Update 62.0 buggy

Post by Frank Lion »

jhaber3 wrote:Maybe I can try a new profile or Monday. I honestly don't have half a day today to re-add and customize all my settings, extensions, passwords, bookmarks, etc., etc
You weren't asked to re-add anything. In fact, it would defeat the point if you did. You were asked to try a new additional testing profile to diagnose if the problem happened on that one as well.

Of course, you don't have to do that either if it's bothersome, you can just leave things exactly as they are. After all, this isn't our problem, but yours.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Thanks. I'll take a look. Interesting things to try. I hadn't had trouble with UBlock or YesScript, and I'd adopted both out of desperation at different times. Of course, an ad blocker is essential, and I'd had a few sites abusing script popups no end. LastPass has been quite a boon, as you can imagine. It came highly recommended, and the switch to a password program like this enabled me not just to have its convenience (and obviously more and more people are urged to adopt one), but also to share passwords with Chrome (where before I'd only what fill Firefox remembered). Of course, it also concerns me that the problem occurs in safe mode, so with all three disabled and, I'd thus assume, irrelevant.

I'm surprised at the AVG entry, too. AVG is my antivirus. Surely I can't uninstall that, no? Indeed, I was just about to run my Sunday scans.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

You got your recommendation ...
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Or in cases like this how about Help > Troubleshooting Information > "Give Firefox A Tune Up/Refresh Firefox" .. and lock the thread? :P
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

I did start a new profile. Of course, it only took a few minutes, but of course I also felt totally at sea and imagine it'd take a day to figure out how to make things look the way they used to, while (having lost LastPass) I had no saved passwords, including the one for this forum. (I do have a backup csv file I can use to consult them or import them.) So not fun. Indeed, right now I'm in the old profile in order to facilitate this post. Anyhow, everything changed, initiating a home page crowded with advertising like in Edge, new huge fonts, and goodness knows what else.

I did have backups for key3.db, logins.json, patterns.ini, permissions.sqlite, and places.sqlite. The new profile appears to have copies of only the last two, and I overwrote them, so at least for now I have my bookmarks back in that profile. Bad news is that the new profile, whether because of those two files alone or not, is giving the same error message -- again, about 60 seconds after closing the program. So I guess the profile didn't suddenly become corrupt when I upgraded Firefox yesterday morning after all. Could it be, truly, that this is just a buggy update, as I guessed?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You are missing the point that the new profile, like Safe Mode, was intended to be, at least initially, a diagnostic tool. If there is no improvement when using the new profile, it would be appropriate to revert to the old one. If everything works properly in the new profile it indicates a problem in the old profile, whether due to an extension, file corruption, or changed settings causing issues. It would then be possible to migrate old data (bookmarks, passwords, and other elements) to the new profile so that it would look and feel like the old profile but without the problems.

Did you install the same extensions in the new profile that you were using in the old?
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

I have not installed any extensions in the new profile. That'd take time. Of course, I can't swear that I didn't do some damage by copying those backup files. I don't really need the saved passwords (which I realize now are key4 with logins, not key3) since the only one saved is that for LastPass itself, and I can probably just adjust settings manually to dispense with a couple of others. The bookmarks in places, of course, would be a bare minimum.

I may yet start over later today or tomorrow, maybe even uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox from scratch. Discouraging, though. Thanks again for suggestions.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jhaber3 wrote: Could it be, truly, that this is just a buggy update, as I guessed?
Truly, it would have been better if you had made the new profile exactly as suggested and not assumed that the only things in a profile that can mess up are extensions.
jhaber3 wrote: Could it be, truly, that this is just a buggy update, as I guessed?
Is the new profile doing this? -
jhaber3 wrote:For me, today's update has been a disaster, even after I tried a reboot. Every single time I close Firefox, I get the error message that we're sorry but the program has crashed and will to start whatever page I had when I reboot.

You're now on your own now, chum.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

jhaber3 wrote:I may yet start over later today or tomorrow, maybe even uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox from scratch.
](*,)= :locked:
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Seeing as the OP has been advised as to the procedure to follow & is still procrastinating over what to do....
This thread is getting locked.

jhaber3...
(Just start a new one if more advice is required or to report your progress.)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)