How to restore bookmark comments in FF v64

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
James

Re: How to restore bookmark comments in FF v64

Post by James »

skuddle, I spitted your off-topic question off as a new thread at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3041565
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Take a look at this new WE - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ark-notes/

Doesn't have an import feature for existing Descriptions, yet, but it looks like that is planned.

Import Descriptions from Bookmarks into Bookmark Notes
https://github.com/emmyemi/bookmark-notes/issues/1
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
divedoggy

Post by divedoggy »

Downgrading to Firefox 60.2 ESR worked! I got my bookmark notes back. Bookmark notes are the main reason I still use Firefox instead of Chrome. I find it a convenient way to store passwords and other information. Should I turn off updates? Will the next version of ESR get rid of notes too? Why did someone think this was a good idea? It doesn't make sense to arbitrarily remove a popular feature of Firefox without warning.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

divedoggy wrote:Downgrading to Firefox 60.2 ESR worked! I got my bookmark notes back. Bookmark notes are the main reason I still use Firefox instead of Chrome. I find it a convenient way to store passwords and other information. Should I turn off updates? Will the next version of ESR get rid of notes too? Why did someone think this was a good idea? It doesn't make sense to arbitrarily remove a popular feature of Firefox without warning.
From the bug report:
"Descriptions are a minor feature of bookmarks, they are fetched from the page at the bookmarking time and can be manually edited by the user.
Their usefulness is very limited, since we don't even search on them, and they can (do) affect performance of bookmark operations.

Since now we have a description field in moz_places, used by Activity Stream, we can rely on that, if we really care to show a description anywhere in the UI. It wouldn't be user modifiable though."
The next version of ESR which is scheduled to be version 68 will not have the Descriptions field

How popular is the feature. I had 3 entries in all of my bookmarks. All set by the site when I bookmarked them.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
divedoggy

Post by divedoggy »

You are right, the description that is set by the website is useless. It is the ability to create your own notes that is useful. I use this feature to store passwords and other information. Just because you don't use this feature does not mean that others don't find it useful. Also, it is unique to Firefox. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

ESR 68 which won't be until about a year from now, won't have the descriptions, but the each 6 weeks ESR updates 60.3, 60.4, etc will until then. Also note that Mozilla developers are not on this unofficial forum.
divedoggy

Post by divedoggy »

Okay thanks very much for the info. If you know any of the developers, please send them my plea.
Planetary

Post by Planetary »

Add my name to those that use the bookmark "description box" feature and am not happy it's missing thanks to the new update.
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

This is irresponsible of Mozilla to delete information users stored w/o at least warning them. (And the fact that some website warned it was going to happen is totally irrelevant.)

Obviously, users like this functionality. Maybe they should optimize code (for the supposed performance hit) instead of irritating users by removing something useful.

This is as bad as Google. Now where do we go for a good browser? I'm very disappointed.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Justinh wrote:This is irresponsible of Mozilla to delete information users stored w/o at least warning them.
The data is still there, but there's no user interface controls to view or edit it.
Justinh wrote:Now where do we go for a good browser?
You can use an add-on with Firefox 62, or you can switch to the Extended Support Release of Firefox 60.

* https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... ark-notes/
* https://support.mozilla.org/kb/switch-t ... elease-esr