menu bar item darkens on mouseover

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
the-edmeister

Re: menu bar item darkens on mouseover

Post by the-edmeister »

The userChrome.css file location has always been there! I started using the 3 "user" files back in 2004 and other than the "path to" the Profile being changed with WinXP vs. Win98 & W2K it's basically the same location - Roaming in AppData for the User.

But there have been changes to some of the selectors with Quantum and more changes in the versions since Firefox 57 when Quantum was brand new. That @namespace url line really hasn't been necessary with Quantum, but there are a few exceptions which is why people use it; AFAIK using it doesn't detract from anything that I have seen. But I am putting Quantum specific code is @import files that are listed in the userChrome to allow me to comment out an an entire @import file for easier troubleshooting should I run into any conflicts when mixing'n'matching userChrome.css modifications. It also allows for a much smaller userChrome.css file which is easier to read. I am used to like under 50 lines of code in userChrome.css, where with the mods I have put together thus far for Quantum that would approach 250 or so lines of code if I had it all in one file; and I am just getting started with what I want to do.

IMO, the best resource and a place to ask questions is here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/

The code that Aris so graciously provides is IMO to "retro" in perspective for my tastes. He started out trying to duplicate what he did with the Classic Theme Restorer extension because with Quantum an extension such as CTR just ain't allowed. I tried CTR years ago and didn't like; I feel that it wasn't "retro" enough by patterning it after what Firefox 4.0 thru 28 looked like.

Sorry that I can't help you figure out what you need for the mouseover change to a different color on the Menu Bar, but that isn't an issue for me as I have the Menu Bar hidden all the time and the few times I do access it I use the keyboard commands exclusively (except the few times I need a menu item that has no "accelerator key" and those are few). Not a browser changer issue for me.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Not that it matters, but I have the bg color to this for now. It's a medium-dark gray. #909497

Yes, I do realize that one has to restart the browser for it to take effect.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

For interactive tinkering, you can enable the Browser Toolbox. https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Tool ... er_Toolbox

That is similar to the developer tools you can open in a web page, but for the user interface.