Bookmark to the Title bar has stopped

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GudgeonPin

Bookmark to the Title bar has stopped

Post by GudgeonPin »

Hi, recently upgraded 61 to 62 and not sure if I have accidentally done something or it is a new "feature."

I only have two Bookmarks beginning with "a" and only one of those two is "am" for Amazon. In v61 when I started typing in the Title bar it woull load the the most appropriate Bookmark. e.g. if I type "am" it will place the Amazon bookmark in the title bar so all I need to launch Amazon is to type "am" then hit Enter.

This no longer happens, it displays the bookmarks below the title bar and I can select from that list, but I like the former method for the lazy-at-heart. :)

How do I get the functionality back?

Thank you.
Cary G.
jscher2000

Re: Bookmark to the Title bar has stopped

Post by jscher2000 »

Do you clear history often? Firefox 62 may not use unvisited bookmarks for in-URL-bar autofill.
costark

Post by costark »

I Do NOT Clear History when FF Closed ....
I typed up to - bestbu - and v62 did Not recognize - bestbuy - in the Address Bar (below bar - finally). After a few entries of bestbuy (& loading it) it Only Took - be - to see - bestbuy - in the Address Bar.
I typed - am - and - amazon.com - appeared on 1st try; Same with Lowes (low) and Home Depot (hom).

There may be a History and/or "learning" connection but v62 Does do Auto-Complete by some unknown formula.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There may be a History and/or "learning" connection but v62 Does do Auto-Complete by some unknown formula.
It does here. You might try a new profile, purely for testing purposes, to see if the same condition exists with default settings.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

GudgeonPin wrote:if I type "am" it will place the Amazon bookmark in the title bar so all I need to launch Amazon is to type "am" then hit Enter.

This no longer happens,
If I type "am" in the URL bar amazon.com shows up and I can simply hit Enter. This is with FF62.0

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Duck_Dodgers

Post by Duck_Dodgers »

Interesting. I'm experiencing the exact same thing as @GudgeonPin. I recently did clean installs of Firefox 60.2.0esr on two different Windows 7 PCs. One uses the Win7 aero interface and the other does not. The only things from my previous installs are my imported bookmarks.

This is my first experience with Quantum, so I figured that was the way things worked, as frustrating as it is. I've restarted in Firefox "safe mode" and changed just about every parameter there is in "options," but the only text that ever shows up in the address bar is what I type in.

In Options|Privacy & Security|Address Bar|Browser Privacy|Address Bar I only have "Bookmarks" checked - but I never get any suggestions. Suggestions only show below the address bar in a drop-down.

I've been wondering if there's something stupid that I'm missing...

Mike
Quack! Quack!
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Somewhere I saw there was a change to the algorithms in Firefox 62 and they will be improved in Firefox 63, but I didn't dig into the details.

(By "somewhere" I mean in another thread here, or at Mozilla Support, or on Reddit.)
costark

Post by costark »

----------------------------
https://i.imgur.com/RJObtVo.jpg

While we're treading water why not take a quick look at -- about:config [ browser.urlbar ] and see if anything looks suspicious, particularly
-- browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled -- and -- browser.urlbar.autofill --.

My settings (Imgur above) work well, other than bestbuy didn't complete at first.

One guy fixed the problem ( 10/16/17 just before Quantum Release ) via the green Chosen Solution at bottom of Thread Below. Involved Removing (or Re-Naming) & Re-Buildng ALL FILES w/ places.sqlite in name (history tie-in ??). The usual Forum experts may can tell quickly if that approach in Quantum is worth a try.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1180019
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

If my son types "am" in the URL bar amazon.com shows up and he can simply hit Enter. This is with FF62.0 on Win10.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Duck_Dodgers

Post by Duck_Dodgers »

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I checked the various autofill settings in about:config as suggested and they were fine. Also tried a few other things suggested in your links. No go.

Last night after work I decided wipe out my installation of 60.2.0esr on one of my PCs and install the non-esr 62.0 from scratch. Bingo! Autofill worked. Then I started customizing a few things at a time in Firefox’s options and checking to make sure autofill still worked after the changes. I installed NoScript and uBlock Origin. Autofill still worked.

Then, in the middle of changing a few things in the Privacy & Security page of Options, I lost the autofill function again. I undid my changes and still couldn’t get autofill to work again, regardless of what I did. At that point I was getting too confident and didn’t pay as much attention to what I was changing, so it’s possible I missed something.

I decided to wipe out that installation and do another fresh install of 60.2.0esr. Autofill worked. I started making my changes one at a time – testing after each change. I installed the above-mentioned extensions.

As of right now, autofill still works. Something still seems a little strange with autofill, but I never paid that much attention to how it used to work, so I’m not sure exactly what is different. Quantum seems have integrated the search suggestions a little differently than I’m used to. I have this “gut feeling” that this is part of my problem.

Heh! Heh! At this point I wonder whether the next thing I change will blow up the autofill function again. Phew!

Mike
Quack! Quack!