Google Docs "Voice Typing" support?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kimi85

Google Docs "Voice Typing" support?

Post by kimi85 »

Hi there,
I'm suprised that Google Docs and many other Google-based voice input services aren't allowing me to use built-in microphone over Firefox. I know Firefox has capability of accessing built-in microphone along with webcam for sure but i don't know why "voice typing" (speech to text) is unusable for Firefox?

Is it a limitation from Google or Firefox has limited capability of accessing microphone on certain sites?

Thanks in advance!
jscher2000

Re: Google Docs "Voice Typing" support?

Post by jscher2000 »

Google Voice should work in Firefox now that it's an HTML5 application. Note that it does require WebRTC to be enabled (some VPN users disable it).

Other microphones, I don't know, what reason could there possibly be for Google services not supporting Firefox?
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Have you checked your site permissions? Make sure that you authorize drive.google.com to access your microphone.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
kimi85

Post by kimi85 »

mgagnonlv wrote:Have you checked your site permissions? Make sure that you authorize drive.google.com to access your microphone.
Yes i did that. I even granted access to microphone using Tools - Page Info - Microphone to "allow", even in drive.google.com and also in docs.google.com while the blank documents is loaded for the first time. "Voice Typing" is still grayed out. :(
mweymar

Post by mweymar »

Ditto.

Confirmed in Options > Privacy & Security > Microphone Settings > https://docs.google.com = ALLOW

Exited FF and relaunched. "Voice Typing" is still grayed out.

Any suggestions?