Firefox Monitor: Vulnerable?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jhaber3

Firefox Monitor: Vulnerable?

Post by jhaber3 »

I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox this past week, so I can see why I might be into new territory for me in some ways. I just ran a simple (not "deep") AVG virus scan, and it told me that I had a browser add-on called Firefox Monitor that is vulnerable, and would I like to remove it. I'm not familiar with this, and it's not in my list of installed add-ons. Nor did I manually install it.

I did search the Web for Firefox Monitor. I found references to a Web site that tells you about your "account," whatever that means, but that's about it. In fact, going to it, it asked to enter my email and told me that it was compromised and I should change all the dozen or more passwords I use with it, which doesn't sound realistic someone. (The date of compromise for logging into one site is already 3 years ago.) Anyhow, you can see why I'm confused. Thoughts, starting with the AVG Anti-Virus scan results? Thanks.
LIMPET235

Re: Firefox Monitor: Vulnerable?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
AFAICS, It's a new feature, courtesy of "the good guys" at Mozilla.org, so new, that none of the current AV's know about it
& of course, give a FP, False Positive result.
ref; > https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases ... rity-tool/
> https://www.tomshardware.com/news/mozil ... 37365.html

Maybe check at the AVG forum?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Great, thanks. Funny that it's kind of an add-on and kind of a freestanding Web site. Funny too that it asks if hackers have your email but, I suspect, can't know if they have your various log-ins. But I'll look forward to learning more.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You're welcome.

There's also this...
> https://www.notebookcheck.net/Firefox-6 ... 598.0.html
&...From that site...
The initial rollout of the add-on will be restricted to about 0.5% of EN-US users on September 5 and will gradually rollout to 100% of EN-US users on September 25. If there are any issues with the rollout, the service will be made available only via the Firefox Monitor website. Those who wish to disable Firefox Monitor altogether can do so by going to about:config?filter=extensions.fxmonitor.enabled and setting the preference to False. Do note that this flag will only be available in Firefox 62 onwards; even the latest Nightly builds do not have this flag yet.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)