Complete loss of firefox browser

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
greyhound88

Complete loss of firefox browser

Post by greyhound88 »

Hi, Hope someone an help!!

I have had a few problems with pages freezing recently and a popup saying something like "A webpage is slowing browsing what do you want to do wait or close"

So when this morning Avast antivirus popped up a window saying I had an unsafe extension I thought ah that explains it …

The extension identified as English Language pack, so I agreed to uninstall.

After that firefox would just open a blank page with some text at the top saying …

<window id="main-window"

nothing else. No menus, no tabs, just like a single word doc page if you see what I mean. To close it I had to use right click from toolbar.

I tried a restart, then a system restore. no joy.

I then tried chrome and imported stuff from firefox, which failed … and although I hardly use it chrome wont work now, just nothing when I click it. I tried uninstalling firefox ( I thought it would offer to keep settings but it didn't so I have lost loads of passwords etc)

Fresh install and all I get is the same message :

<window id="main-window"

HHHeelllpppp?? please.
lasardo

Re: Complete loss of firefox browser

Post by lasardo »

There is a fix in this thread: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1234450
The part about removing addonStartup.json.lz4 in the profile folder.
Mozilla is contacting avg & avast, and a version 62.0.2 will probably be out in a few days with a workaround.
Here is a more detailed instruction on how to remove that file: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1234454
greyhound88

Post by greyhound88 »

I cannot thank you enough, it works, and all my bookmarks etc are saved !! Next time I'll ask for help before I mess around myself.

The impossible becomes simple when you know how!!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

window I'd mean you are using an extension which is not compliant with Firefox.

BTW your current browser is taking user agent or out of date ( chrome 64), anyhow no cookie for you.